Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focale
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

How would I go about making a scarf for a legionary of the first century AD ? What materials are used (I've heard 100% wool is best) what colours are acceptable, and what dimensions should the scarf be?

Also what tools should I use?

I was thinking of getting a cheap grey woollen cloak, and perhaps cutting a section out with scissors, although I don't know if this would work or whether it'd be acceptable. I can't knit at all, so knitting one is out of the question for now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Start with cheap material, and cut a large square or a triangle (no need to make it pretty the first time). Try it out before you decide on thickness and final measurements, and only then make a nice one. Or stick with a rag - I still do. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
What seems to work best for my stuff is to put the focale on before the tunic. That keeps it well up on the neck, and between armor and skin.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the help guys! Smile

I had no idea that something as simple as a rag could be substituted for a focale. I only wish I had joined this forum earlier, as reading some of the earlier threads I realise that some of my equipment is in-accuarte or a bit off, especially my cingulum.

Luckily I haven't finished my set yet, so I could get replacements.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.