Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Armor Breastplates WIthout backs?
Here is another question I am researching.

From 1 a.d. to 90 a.d. was there any Roman armor Breastplates, Hamata, Lorica Segmentata, Squamata or Muscle Cuirasses that only covered the front and not the back that would have been standard issue or purchased?

I have heard that there was, but I have not found anything that didn't protect both the front and the back.

Does anyone have any info or pictures that would confirm such armor?

Thank you Patrick
I haven't heard of half-armours until the polearm infantry of the renaissance. Though the reliefs and sculptures only show us the front of the figures, I think they should have done it at least a few places, if this half-armour existed. Also, they would be quite useless. Against a halberdier, this might be ok, but when you are in CC with someone, who may also cut your back...
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Given the construction methods of mail, scale, and segmented armour, it would probably be much harder to have a 'half' version that a complete one that could support its own weight. It would be unbalanced and leave the wearer dangerously exposed (especially at the shoulders). A muscle cuirass could plausibly only have the breastplate, but that was far from standard issue and would certainly have issues with balance, comfort, protection etc.
Didn't Alexander take away the backplates from some troops he thought unreliable?
Pecunia non olet
A Republic style pectoral could be rigged so that the backplate was removed. But as for hamata, no, I don't think that would work.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Using heavy metal breastplates without a back would only unballance the user, thereby destroying his back and thereby his fighting ability.
ALA I BATAVORUM
My thoughts' exactly... I went as far back as I could even in Hebrew and Persian history and could not find anything of the sort. I really appreciate your comments and your insights. Would any of you allow me to quote you in a book? Please send me a private message if you would allow.

Thanks as always.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breastplates during Punic Wars Johnny Shumate 4 1,722 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Why banded armor (lorica segmentata)? Why not breastplates? fretensis10 36 10,494 04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Marius_Ursus