Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for [Building a Roman Legionary Fortress].
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Legiona...HZU0NTT4WY
Looks good,but is it?
Any refs from anyone would be appreciated before parting with the sheckles.
Kevin
Kevin
I've owned this book for quite a few years. It's a good read, and certainly gives you an appreciation for the quantity of materials and labour needed to construct a Roman fort of whatever size! If you are planning to reconstruct a fort, then this is required reading! I have found it useful background material for the work I have done for Paul Harston's Roman Fort Project near Chester (Deva) and I'm not actually concerned with the 'fort' part of the reconstructions. I don't know if this helps with your decision making, but after all you can never own too many books!
I can also attest to the quality of this book - it's certainly worth £7.60! Shirley really goes into depth about the nature of the resources and processes that went into building a fortress, and accompanies her calculations with descriptions of the relative comfort offered by the techniques used (not as much as you'd hope, as the wooden barracks were prone to drafts).

It's been a while since I read the book, but I think it may be of less use for looking at stone built forts, as she focuses primarily on the timber fortress of Inchtuthil.
It looked good....just needed confirmation.
Thank you all
Its in the bag
Kevin
Kevin
Timber is very good as my "baby" is Exeter.
Kevin
Kevin
I didn't,know about this book. It's just been added to my wishlist. Thanks guys.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I didn't know about this book. It's just been added to my wishlist. Thanks guys.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Book arrived....have scanned it and it looks good. Will let you all know more later when it has been read properly.
Kevin
Kevin
Yes it is a very good book to have. I take it with me to every AIA Archaeology Fair along with my five Roman nails from Inchtuthill.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
This book is over 50USD through Amazon in the US.
ISBN 978-0752419114
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:This book is over 50USD through Amazon in the US.
ISBN 978-0752419114
Blimey! You're better off buying it on Amazon.co.uk and paying the extra postage.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life in a Legionary Fortress Legio17 0 2,888 12-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Legio17