Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leeuwen Pugio
Does anyone have any information on the dimension of the Leeuwen pugio.....size of the the blade, scabbard etc?

Thank you
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo.

If you Google The Leeuwen Pugio you will find some very good pictures of it by Bladesmith's Forum.com
Brian Stobbs
The scabbard is (in its fragmented state) 19,8 cm long according to:
J. Obmann, Studien zu römischen Dolchscheiden des 1. Jahrhunderts n. Chr. (Rahden/Westf. 2000)

Regards
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thank you Andreas for the information.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I forgot to mention....from pictures of the original that I have seen, it appears that the scabbard is complete.

Paolo
"Leeuwen" is a Dutch placename. Is it the place where this dagger was found? (I was born there.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:"Leeuwen" is a Dutch placename. Is it the place where this dagger was found? (I was born there.)

Yes it is.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice!
Jona Lendering
My website
[Image: post-26987-130011760374.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
And the official museum record of the piece, with high-res pics of the original.
http://www.rmo.nl/collectie/zoeken?object=e+1931%2f2.21
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks again Jurjen!
Jona Lendering
My website
Hello Jurjen,

Thank you very much for the information. I take it that the 35cm for the length included the hilt plus the scabbard?

Paolo
Quote:Hello Jurjen,

Thank you very much for the information. I take it that the 35cm for the length included the hilt plus the scabbard?

Yes, I think so too. Furthermore the original references are mentioned, so you can see if you can get hold of these.
ALA I BATAVORUM
As I figured out now, that there are at least three daggers/scabbards from Leeuwen, the scabbard length I give in my first post, is not from the piece Doc meant. For this the length of the scabbard is given with 25 cm, so 35 cm must be the overall length.

Regards
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the reply.

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leeuwen Pugio hilt question...rivets Doc 0 837 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Leeuwen Pugio Help Doc 0 877 09-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Doc