Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Generals Vowing Things (Games, Buildings)?
Can anybody think of these things in the Republic/early Classical period?

I can think, off the top of my head, in general terms e.g Caesar and his games/triumph, Pompeius and his theatre but I'd like a few concrete examples. Not necessarily vowed in terms of a typical religious contract, but that stuff is fine too.

Fulvius Nobilor and the temple of the muses comes to mind too. The argument over Scipio's book keeping in Polybius, what else?
Jass
Quote:Can anybody think of these things in the Republic/early Classical period?
I am not sure exactly what you mean. Are you simply looking for buildings dedicated by Roman generals out of their spoils? Or must they have been vowed (promised) in advance? Specifically from the Roman Republic? (What is the "early Classical period"?)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Right, sorry, I forgot philological standards of Latin don't apply to history. What we deem Classical Latin basically corresponds with the Augustan era onwards, usually until the end of the 1st/start of the second century.

Well I'm basically looking for votive offerings in the traditional sense of "if I win/do this then the gods get X" or items/buildings made without a votive offering but which are none the less dedicated to the gods.

How common was it for generals to do this? how much would they spend? I've got only fuzzy memories from Polybios and Livy you see...
Jass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman games Logarythmus 0 788 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus
  Roman Navy - Question on port buildings or "ship sheds" Porcus Chopicus 6 1,803 03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Roman generals bicabowl17 3 1,515 03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Crispvs