Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)?
Quote:In theory but note the fourth century St Martin who, IIRC went AWOL. Hereditary citizen soldiering must've broken down fairly soon afterwards, given widespread reliance on barbarians.
Technically, Martin seems to have been dishonorably discharged for lack of a better term. He had served faithfully for years in the cavalry. Apparently he developed priestly aspirations and indeed became the bishop of Tours. And since he came from a family of influence I'm sure he was able to arrange his dismissal. So, his case seems exceptional to me and not simple desertion. However, there's no denying that desertion from the army was a problem. Being an infantryman in the Late Empire didn't have the attraction it once did during the principate. The pay was low, the danger greater, and the prospect for loot was rare.

Quote:Btw the name is Tim not Tom. Confusedmile:
Apologies, Tim. Some genius decided to place the "O" key next to the "I". :x ;-)

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? - by Theodosius the Great - 10-08-2012, 04:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire Kefka 24 6,981 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Kefka
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,771 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius