Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needing help about spatha dimensions
Hi!

I'm in dire need of late 4th century (especially 370-375 Danubian, nearby Aquincum or Brigetio) spatha dimensions. Bishop doesn't write that much, only mins and maxes for the whole dominate. I don't yet have the money to buy Miks' book (also it is fairly hard to find), so I hoped if someone with a copy or by any other material could help me out here with a few numbers.

Thank you for your kindness,

Mark
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
The only Danubian ones I'm aware of that could be from the period:

- one from Kastel Pfunz, 200 to 400 CE, with a 76 cm blade and no fuller. Mentioned in Feugere.

- one from Porolissum, 200 to 400 CE, with a 67 cm blade.

There are many more Rhine ones that could be from the period. I'd suggest looking at those too.

Are you interested in ones with wider or narrower blades, with or without fullers?
Especially ones without fullers, but that is the least of my concerns. Blade width is not that crucial, but I'm not really interested in wider than 55 mm ones...
A little side-question: is it possible for spatha scabbards to have a little metal oblong plate at the opening? It would help the scabbard not to get damaged when you put back your sword time to time.