Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 4th century tunic project
Hi there!

In our group, a few of us are going to make new, customised tunics (not flames and neonlighting, but in size and clavi/orbiculi Big Grin ). I've read through RAT's every little tidbit about tunics, but there are still a few questions, in which I need your opinions. I will highlight these.

So, to begin, fabric: we've found very nice 100% linen and wool also. We need strong materials (as we frequently take place in battles, where we get pulled with a rope by horses for example), but still light, so it won't be a sauna in the summer (this one was especially hot, imagine me in helm/musculata/subarmalis out in the sun with like 40°C). I personally prefer a linen cloth I've found, it's 240 cm across, so I can make the tunic from one piece. But one thing remains: are the fabric's looks important? I mean if we look closely, on some fabrics we see, that it has a crude, archaic pattern, on some you see the modern technology's hand.

Colour: I've seen nice red and green tunics on mosaics, and I also like a bleached white with red fittings. I have two questions: Do red and green base colours make nice tunics? Also is bleached white acceptable for a centurion in the late 4th century? I've read bleached white was a Scholae Palatinae thing then.

Fittings: We have collected an enormous amount of clavi and orbiculi. For practical purposes, we would put the embroidery on a piece of wool, (or felt?), than sew this thing onto the tunic. So the backside will be protected, and it will be nicer I think. Is this acceptable by western reenactment standards?

Thanks for your opinions, hope to get back to you in the fall, when we actually do this.

Mark
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:For practical purposes, we would put the embroidery on a piece of wool, (or felt?), than sew this thing onto the tunic. So the backside will be protected, and it will be nicer I think. Is this acceptable by western reenactment standards?

Well, the romans themselve seems to have been re-using their clavi and orbiculli themselves (e.g. took them from their old tunic an stiched them on a new one), so why not?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi Mark!

Check out the Piazza Armerina mosaics, there you can find green, red, yellow, off-white tunics etc.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
As Virilis mentioned, the Piazza Armerina mosaics:

[attachment=5131]5120.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5132]5122.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5133]6040.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5134]6042.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
Look forward to seeing the end results!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the fashion tips Smile I'm between red base and white base with red orbi. I wanna look good in my musculata, also there is a little voice in the back of my head, that I wanna be THE PIMP of every event Tongue
Quote:Thanks for the fashion tips Smile I'm between red base and white base with red orbi. I wanna look good in my musculata, also there is a little voice in the back of my head, that I wanna be THE PIMP of every event Tongue
Thumbs up for your efforts!
If you're gooing to do battle in such a tunic, take care not to make it too beautiful. especially whn white, stains could ruin te look. Myself (and others I know) have a tunic to wear under the armour, and a 'deluxe' model for the off-duty.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Mark George Little post=319890 Wrote:Thanks for the fashion tips Smile I'm between red base and white base with red orbi. I wanna look good in my musculata, also there is a little voice in the back of my head, that I wanna be THE PIMP of every event Tongue
Thumbs up for your efforts!
If you're gooing to do battle in such a tunic, take care not to make it too beautiful. especially whn white, stains could ruin te look. Myself (and others I know) have a tunic to wear under the armour, and a 'deluxe' model for the off-duty.

Very sound advice!
Marc Byrne
Quote:If you're gooing to do battle in such a tunic, take care not to make it too beautiful. especially whn white, stains could ruin te look. Myself (and others I know) have a tunic to wear under the armour, and a 'deluxe' model for the off-duty.

And not only for battles, sometimes you will have to work, dig, or start a fire...a simpler, easier and cheaper one with "solid" clavi et orbiculi it's perfect.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Interesting, I notice the Illyrian Auxilia and Valeria Victrix on the Mosaics.

Would white with Yellow Be an acceptable pattern? I was gonna use Solid Designs (rather than the fancy decorative ones) and hand-stitch it.
I've thought about that. I would use a red tunic from linen for fighting, and the white woolen for parading and just everydays. Also, I would'nt really have to worry about physical work: that's what my men are for Big Grin Being a centurion is quite relaxing, except when you have to react to a sudden cuneus from 4th century longobards swinging iron-axes and ramming through us like armour piercing arrow in a hamata.

Now that is hell on earth for me Big Grin

PS. I'm planning to make photos of dents in our 1.5mm iron helmets to show you how we roll Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd Century roman Tunic help center108 6 5,113 05-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  6th century AD coptic tunic Martin Moser 1 1,273 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Robert
  1st Century imperial Auxiliary tunic Cheyenne 16 4,752 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker