Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paenula "lacing"
In Graham Sumner's text, he mentions that the paenula of S. Ennius Fuscus is closed by "criss-cross" laces (p. 75).   I've tried to discern that from the pics that I can search, but am not visualizing this in practice.  Does anyone out there have any interpretations that they have done or seen of these?  With the absence of buttonholes, what do these lace onto?

Thanks for any leads or images. 

-Michael
- Michael
(04-04-2016, 12:07 AM)mstraatm Wrote: In Graham Sumner's text, he mentions that the paenula of S. Ennius Fuscus is closed by "criss-cross" laces (p. 75).   I've tried to discern that from the pics that I can search, but am not visualizing this in practice.  Does anyone out there have any interpretations that they have done or seen of these?  With the absence of buttonholes, what do these lace onto?

Thanks for any leads or images. 

-Michael

It was my understanding they were fastened using toggles, and loops, or buttons and loops, and some apparently sewn up. I had not been aware of a cross lacing method.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squamata lacing scotti73 2 1,531 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Last Post: scotti73
  Lacing loop help! emj1s 16 3,664 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  caligae lacing Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 4 2,128 10-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe