Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating the francisca
Quote:Can anybody post pictures of the Marteville, Haillot and Spontin axes, plz ?

[attachment=9382]MartevilleGrave13.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9383]HaillotGrave11.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9384]SpontinGraveB.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Can anybody post pictures of the Marteville, Haillot and Spontin axes, plz ?
For the lazy ones Tongue:

[attachment=9385]MartevilleGrave13.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9386]HaillotGrave11.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9387]SpontinGraveB.jpg[/attachment]

EDIT

Quote:Haillot – published in J. Breuer - H. Roosens, Le Cimetière Franc de Haillot. Archaeologica Belgica 34 (1957), available online here:

http://webapps.fundp.ac.be/bib/pdf/424.pdf

Spontin – published in A. Limelette, Cimetière franc de Spontin. Ann. Soc. Arch. de Namur 8, 1863-64, 354, available online here:

googlebooks

Marteville I believe is commonly referred to as Marteville à Vermand. This was published in Eck, Les deux cimetières gallo-romains de Vermand et de Saint-Quentin (1891) and Boulanger, Le Mobilier Funéraire Gallo-Romain et Franc en Picardie et en Artois (1905). I could not find those online but you can find pics in these lavishly illustrated publications of the Met Museum:

From Attila to Charlemagne

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-a...2.143-.146

(links to publications at the lower right of the page)
Neither does Annales de la Société Archéologique de Namur 8 contain a depiction of the Spontin grave B axe, nor do the Met-publications depict the axe found in the grave Marteville 13. The Vermand Treasure was found in the grave Vermand B and therefore not in the grave Marteville 13. The grave Vermand B contained a axe belonging to the same group as the Marteville grave 13 axe (type C of the axes with "Schaftlochlappen"), though.

However, the online version of Le Cimetière Franc de Haillot indeed depicts one of the three axes (Haillot grave 11, fig. 13, p. 219).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, if you axe me?-- the thing was a tomahawk. :whistle:

Looks like a sagaris without the other end. 8+)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Great stuff-
Thanks a lot!

(OK, I am lazy ...) Big Grin
Andreas Strassmeir