Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Cavalry Scouts
Possibly the Aussies, possibly the US SF who are still using horses to access parts of Afghanistan on the only true 4x4 you'll ever get!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
This is awesome. I bet they had a lot of fun training horses to lay down like that.
I don't think they are Aussies as the camouflage pattern & colours seem different to Australian issue which seems more olive, possibly Afghan troops.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
They aren't US that I recognize, then again our SF teams are highly adaptable.
I was a Cav. Scout in the U.S. Army,armored cavalry that is Tongue
Highly doubt those are U.S. SF for several reasons.
You know, if you replaced Steel Armor with Kevlar/Spider Silk Armor, then you could probably have mounted cavalry still effective, something similar to a Clibanarius maybe.
Quote:You know, if you replaced Steel Armor with Kevlar/Spider Silk Armor, then you could probably have mounted cavalry still effective, something similar to a Clibanarius maybe.
Don't know about that Evan,never seen what a MK19 can do to a horse but,it will WRECK a camel,even one covered in Kevlar I'd bet :lol:
I've seen what a Barrett can do to a deer. You have a point.
That's one of the key functions of a scout,to see,not be seen,not looking for a fight,looking for where the enemy is so,the tanks/air power can fight them,skip the armor but for,travel where wheeled viehicles can't go? No reason not to use a horse if available,maintaining numbers of them in the field would become an issue vs. there practical use in a modern setting.
Now you guys have me strolling down memory lane lol
[attachment=8605]1017504_1394897550729451_42013874_n.jpg[/attachment]

Dave, did you go through USATCA at Ft. Knox?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Dave, did you go through USATCA at Ft. Knox?
Yes sir,about 21 years ago,"Scouts are the commander's eyes and,ears on the battlefield" Smile then off to, the 3/67th Armor Regiment, stationed at Ft.Hood most of my time,when not deployed.
Like Forrest Gump said,"except for the beer and BBQ,they were right" :grin:
[attachment=8606]1005440_1397712803781259_1527221129_n.jpg[/attachment]

Quote:
john m roberts post=348597 Wrote:Dave, did you go through USATCA at Ft. Knox?
Yes sir,about 21 years ago,"Scouts are the commander's eyes and,ears on the battlefield" Smile then off to, the 3/67th Armor Regiment, stationed at Ft.Hood most of my time,when not deployed.

I was condemned to USATCA for most of 1969, after wrecking my back parachuting. It was the most boring year of my life.
Pecunia non olet
Wasn't to boring for me but,I had to learn to walk again and,what it's like to be bald etc. still not the place I'd want to do a year of TDY in.
Ah the Army,my cousin,who enlisted same time as me,no intrest in history,travel, or anything but,"beer and,broads" sent to Europe.
Me,intrested in all things historical from birth,could spend days in a museum,duty station middle of Texas and,my couple trips out of the U.S. nothing like a Museum there!