Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather case?
I need a case to carry some long wooden rods which can be used on display at events. These rods are various lengths from 1'/30cm up to 5'/ 1.5m. The diameter of case needed to keep them all together would be about 8"/20cm.

It needs to be a stiff case as it's very important these rods don't warp if the bag is leant up against a wall. I've seen the leather tube cases used and in frescos but would they have been able to make something that long?

The rods would be an essential part of a tradesmans kit and would have had a very high value to him.

Any suggestions?
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
What about a wooden box? That should fill all the requirements. Solid top and bottom, but the sides could be thinnish plywood to reduce the weight.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Such a case could be made from a single ox-hide, using it from neck to tail. That should reach 1.5 m without any difficulty, but as you need 60 cm to make a 20 cm diameter cylinder, you may have to move down the neck a bit. In order to make it really stiff, you could consider getting a rawhide internal liner as a bracer or make the whole thing out of thick rawhide only. You will need to treat that on the outside with lanoline or such to make it waterresistant. I have a leather quiver of really thick leather and that does not flop at all.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I forgot :oops: to add, even lightweight leather can cover a wooden box, just like the leather cover on a scutum, for example. As you pointed out, a leather-only box would lack long-term rigidity.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If it needs to be round, perhaps making a tube of birchbark (you would have to skin a 20 cm diameter 1.5 m long birchwood log, which can de done by cutting a single groove down the log and then with a mallet tapping the bark to loosen it) for the inside would work? You could stitch the birchwood tube back together for a really ridgid tube
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks for the responses, it was how might they have done it then and also how could I replicate it now. I'm wondering if wood makes it too heavy to be carting around?
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
Some time ago, I picked up a similar item from a retiring reenactor liquidating his kit. It is made of leather and was sold to me as a case for carry scrolls. Of course the dimensions are different but it may be something very close to what you are looking to have made. If memory serves me correctly, it is about 6 inches in diameter and about 14 inches tall and includes a well proportioned carrying strap. I am sailing aboard a ship at this time but will be home in about 2 weeks. If you would like me to send you some pictures of it and possibly a better detailed description of its construction, I would gladly forward these once I arrive home.
You may try a cardboard roll used in profesional A0 printers, or as used in carpets then cover it with leather. it is sturdy and
the leather waterproofs it.
I did this for a small capsa but the sturdynes can do for longer items too.Or a plastic sewerdrain (pvc) they ara sold in different dimensions, can be covered
in leather or kept in the car when not in use
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Thanks, I was thinking about the pipe just to get it done as I'm not sure i'd be competant enough to make a totally leather version myself!
Lawrence Payne