Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sarissa luck
I saw Minor Markle III leaving the supermarket just now.
He is 77 and worrying that his partner will not only burn all his tons of notes in the ancient greek and studies of artifacts when he dies (he was sick last year so this has been worrying him- I am going to ask my friend bill oates the archivist if he is interested)
but also his sarissas that were made up for the doco made by the japanese film crew (15 years ago?)
SO- he is giving them to me (the sarissas that is) They do have plastic heads and sauroters and he was quite cross when one smashed when I last borrowed them while helping research for a Baz Luhrman film that never got made due to that other one came out first- but he doesn't seem to remember that.
It will greatly assist Australian moves to develop some Macedonian phalangites as timber is becoming quite expensive and these ones are well cured.
I hope to help him write some of his papers in the oncoming months. He is revising one on Demosthenes and Phillip currently.
God he is a funny bugger Big Grin .
wanted to share my good fortune with you as I think he is a legend.
regards
Richard
The makeshift sarissas will help you to re-construct the group mechanics but if you want to see what the real thing feels please see here:

http://stefanosskarmintzos.wordpress.com...xperience/

Kind regards
Hi Stefanos. I have studied, and enjoyed your work, and others as well.
I have handled sarissa repros that use the huge spear point and likely an overweight sauroter as well. We intend to refit these with accurate weight metal spear heads and sauroter and do comparisons with the shaft in one piece and in two pieces (though likely they will all end up in two pieces for better logistics).
We hope to find enough people to have a go at group dynamics.
Most of all we plan to have fun Big Grin
Thanks for your kind advice
regards
richard
Hello Richard.

You will definetly have fun and that exactly the reason that you are going to do hell of a lot of work!

I am very keen to leanr about your experience in the massed group (I would love to be there actually but its not possible Confusedad: )

Can't wait to see also your conclusions with one piece vs two piece in the rapididty of march test.

Wish you every success!

Kind regards