Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search engine question
Hi,

As I am new here, I tend to use the search engine quite a lot… with mitigated results. Too often, the number of results is huge, with multiples threads listed several times for every entry.

Is there a way to restrict the search to only the first post of any thread? (I know of many phpBB forums where it is common, don't know with this engine).

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Olivier
One thing you might try is simply searching the titles first. This cuts down on the number of results, but it can be tricky because sometimes titles of threads are not very descriptive. If you don't find anything under titles, then broaden the search. Also, Google seems to absolutely love RAT, for whatever reason. In the past I have used advanced Google searches of just this site, and that worked fairly well.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
If you use google, you might also want to try the 'domain'-element. E.g. if you search for
Code:
reenactment domain:www.romanarmytalk.com
you will get results of instances where the word "reenactment" is used only on RAT. Wink
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
If you use google, you might also want to try the 'site'-element. E.g. if you search for
Code:
reenactment site:www.romanarmytalk.com
you will get results of instances where the word "reenactment" is used only on RAT. ;-)
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I use the "title only" feature, but when you are a novice on a subject like me, the searches are quite broad, and even the cut down number of results is still huge (and frankly it is a bit cumbersome to have to scroll/skip 6 pages of results from the same thread because it has a matching element…).

I didn't think of the advanced google search, I'll try that, thanks a lot. :cheer:
Olivier