Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary training
Salve,

I'm a newcomer here and I have to say, it is gratifying to be amongst fellow ancient military enthusiasts. The topic I put forward is; legionary training. I plan to, over the next few months, go through the training that a legionary of ancient Rome would have to endure. I have gone over most of the details and sifted through historical accounts, but one detail escapes me. I have only a vague idea of what I must do to correctly train with a gladius and a scutum shield. So I ask you; what is the correct way to train with a gladius and shield? What techniques must I learn and what methods?

Bene facis,

Marius Aquilinus
AFAIK, the answer to that question is very simple - we do not know. However, from the little that we do know about how the legions fought, I would say the legionary would have spent many hours learning to thrust effectively (while holding scutum above head and body through the attack) and learning how to effectively recover to stable starting position (without losing balanc, able to absorb any returning blow). Other than that, I've only heard various debated ideas, conjecture, etc.
Alexander
Remember, that scutum itself is quite a potent offensive weapon and I would expect a legionaire to train also in this aspect.
Krzysztof

Nobody expects the Roman invasion!
Virtually all we know about Roman infantry training comes from Vegetius. He wrote in (probably) the late fourth or early fifth century, but his descriptions apparently concern the earlier legions (how much earlier is unknown...)

The only translation online is rather dated (18th century!) and lacks the last two books, but should give you the gist of his suggested training regime:

Vegetius Book 1

You might also be interested in this lengthy debate from years back on interpreting some aspects of what Vegetius wrote about training recruits:

Basic Training for New Recruits
Nathan Ross
Best do some serious upper body work (digging vallums and correctly piling the spoil will help!)...

One of the better attested assumptions is that the training shield and wooden practice sword should be weighted to double that of the actual weapons. Smile
Quote:Best do some serious upper body work (digging vallums and correctly piling the spoil will help!)...

One of the better attested assumptions is that the training shield and wooden practice sword should be weighted to double that of the actual weapons. Smile

You forget the Value of the Strategikon. Although 6th century, the Legionary System was still intact. Quinta Macedonica is the only one we know of however at the time.
Without going in-depth... didn't Josephus write about it?
I fight as Murmillo,so I use Gladius and Scutum as well.

For basic fitness, train chest and upper back muscles, as well as your shoulder muscels.
Biceps and Triceps will come along by themselves.
Another good exercise is lunges, but not the slow one. You need to explode forward, almost jump.
While doing this hold a weight (I do it with 15kg) in your hands an extend them as you do the lunge.

Always consider the scutum you main offensive weapon. The Gladius is, even in the arena, just there to do the finishing moves. Even more so for the efficient use of force in the legions.

But please consider, and this is the point I want to stress most, you fight in formation. Therefore you need to train in formation or limit your movement sideways by some other means. Use ropes or boxes, or whatever you find sufficient.

I hoped that helped you a little.

By the way, NEVER forget about a solid foot work. It is the key between good and great in fencing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary Training Jugibar 10 2,340 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Macedon
  Legionary physical training demarthin 2 1,466 05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt