Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian Helmets
Olaf wrote:

There is a relief from Rome dated to 50BC showing a Thracian with such a helmet fighting a Hoplomachus wearing a Hellenistic helmet of Makedonian/Greek style.

If I understand well, you talk about the relief of Fiano Romano showing a Thracian on his knee with helmet, ocrea and pocula parmula...

[attachment=5571]ca.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5572]ca2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
No, that's a more recent find. The one we refer to was in a book from 1967. But thank you for those pictures. The ones I have don't show the Thracian's sica. That block must have been restored to the relief recently.
Pecunia non olet
john m roberts wrote:

No, that's a more recent find. The one we refer to was in a book from 1967. But thank you for those pictures. The ones I have don't show the Thracian's sica.

I see, sorry! Thanks for the specification, I have not read the previous post attentively.
Bdw, if you need I can send you PM the complete graphic and photographic relief of the whole frieze and a photo where the sica is better seeing.

Very best!
S.M.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Amidst my research, I came across this helmet. If my sources are correct, this helmet was amongst the hoard of gladiator equipment excavated from pompeii. Would this mean that the Berlin style helmet was also a first century helmet, in addition to the "bug-eyed" style of helmet?

[attachment=5632]bronze-helmet-of-thracian-gladiator-roman-1st-century-ad.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
The helmet pictured was found in Pompeii, giving it a firm 1st-century date. I do not know of a provenance for the Berlin helmet, leaving its date uncertain. However, the Berlin style is a more fully developed version of the Pompeii helmets and almost certainly dates from later. I know of no artistic depictions of the Berlin type from the 1st century. It was certainly in use by the 3rd. My guess is that the Berlin type dates from mid-2nd century, but that is a guess.
Pecunia non olet
This is a Pompeji type helmet. This type is the transitional type between the "bug eyed" Chieti type and the later Berlin type.
In contrast to the Berlin type the brim does not reach down to the shoulders yet.
The Berlin helmet doesn't have a certain provenance, but these helmets can be found in iconography starting in the 2nd century AD.
Earlier types still seem to have been used contemporary though. Especially the Hoplomachus and Eques are often shown still using the Chieti type.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Thank you both. Does anyone know if anyone makes this style of helmet?
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Pavel Marek can build Pompeji style helmets. Some of hus Gladiator gear was done on commission from me and my group:
http://www.armorymarek.com/de/romer--celtic--greeg

Manning Imperial also has similar helmets on offer, but these are not nearly as accurate as those from Pavel.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany