Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caligae hobnail patterns
There are a couple of patterns in Stepping through time as well. I based the nailing of the Zwammerdam boots now done by DSC on those. They have roundles in forestep and heel. Carol Van Driel - Murray did an excellent comparetative study on nailing patterns. Most would seem to have a double row on the outside of the foot, some only have a single row, like the one with the roundles.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Most would seem to have a double row on the outside of the foot, some only have a single row, like the one with the roundles.

With what little information we have in terms of numbers it is perhaps to say that most had this pattern or that. But you are right, Robert, both patterns are found with caligae.

Here is one original pattern:
[Image: OrigBenagelspuren.jpg]

And this is one done after finds (e.g. Kalkriese)
[Image: Nailing06.jpg]
Here you have some nail patterns from Forua (another great example of imaginative naming by the Romans :lol: ), in Biscay.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Somewhere I saw a link recently that had different Hobnail Patterns. One of them was of a "Stick Figure" on its knees. If anyone know of that link or site can you please post it so I can go back to it? Thank you.
Heres the Kalkriese nailing patterns though to call them "caligae" is a bit of a stretch as the nails are the only bits surviving, "nailed shoes" would have been better but I guess thats not as attractive...

from "Archäologische Zeugnisse zur Varusschlacht?" Sonderdruck aus Germania 70, 1992.

[attachment=5578]Caliginailingkalkrieser1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5577]Caliginailingkalkrieser.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I've read that prostitutes sometimes wore hobnails that spelled out "Follow me" in their footprints. Not exactly military, though a graduate from the Fort Benning Infantry School might wear that slogan on his caligae.
Pecunia non olet
Crispianus... That is close, but not the one I am thinking of. The pattern depicted a stick figure begging for mercy. I know it sounds funny but that is what it said. Still looking for the link.
Patrick, Im not sure I'd take it seriously but here you go Smile

[attachment=5580]Caliginailingkalkrieserstickmanbegging.jpg[/attachment]

Added new caligae nail patterns from Valkenburg AD15+ I think... compare with the Kalkriese nailing patterns... circular patterns also occur on Calcai.

source "Romeins Lederwerk uit Valkenburg Z.H." W. Groenman-van Wattteringe

[attachment=5591]Valkenbergsolesmall.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5592]Valkenburgsole.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patterns for european size 43 caligae? JVL 8 2,954 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser