Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Hand Accounts - Charge of the Light Brigade
Chilling just reading the extracts - particularly when they all knew it was a mistake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10776...igade.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The account is slightly wrong in that the men of the Brigade sabred the Russian gunners at the end of the valley and then routed a body of Russian cavalry superior to them in numbers, that was drawn up behind the battery.

Having chased the Russian cavalry for some distance the mixed groups of British cavalry had to coalesce into ad-hoc bands and then had no choice but to retreat back the way they came. They then came under renewed fire from the flanking Russian batteries, Russian infantry fire and a Russian regiment of lancers was deployed to bar their way back to the British position, where the Heavy Brigade was. Even at this point, on jaded horses, the bands of the Light Brigade broke through the formed ranks of Russian lancers.

Led by cretins as they were, the British cavalrymen were tough and very effective mounted soldiers, and they totally outclassed the Russian cavalry.

Lord Cardigan reached the guns, then thinking his job done he turned his horse around and made his way back alone to the British position. He made no attempt to rally his men or organise them in any way. When he got back (one of the first) to the Heavy Brigade the troopers booed and hissed at him.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
How can the account be wrong when it is written by the men themselves????

If you read far enough, there are comments about the guns and the Russian cavalry.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I was talking about the commentary. The experiences of individual soldiers differed, Cardigan was not involved in the routing of the Russian cavalry because he turned back after the guns had been overrun. George Paget, who commanded one of the regiments, was involved in the rout of the Russian cavalry and he later rallied some of the brigade beyond the battery and led them back through the Russian lancers. His experience was obviously very different from Cardigan's. Another officer organised the rally of a large group of cavalrymen and led them back in a similar way to Paget. There were therefore two major groups of rallied men, plus many smaller groups, pairs and even individuals, the experiences of the people in these diverse situations were obviously equally diverse.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
I've actually been lucky enough to inherit from my father the sabre of "Fitz" Maxse, Cardigan's ADC at the charge of the Light Brigade. Its pretty battered, but I've researched it and it is confirmed as his- though it may or may not have been his sword during the charge. The sword I own was re-made on Maxse's orders post Crimean War with either a new hilt or new blade added. I'll post pictures later if anyone's interested..
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:How can the account be wrong when it is written by the men themselves????

If you read far enough, there are comments about the guns and the Russian cavalry.

Because:
They might have an agenda. (get the glory, lay blame on someone else and similar)
There sense of time and location can/is be effected by being in direct combat.
They might be wrong. And think they are at x place when they are in fact at y.

That is why you should always be a bit careful with firsthand accounts from soldiers about what actually happened during combat.

I newer bin in combat and naturally newer bin in a cavalry charge.
But I have bin in a number of mock medieval type battles... and how I (and others) remember a battle is often very different from what actually happens. And we know this because of video recordings of the battle.
When you need to actively defend yourself in melee combat your world shrinks to 1-2 meter in front of your.
Thomas Aagaard
Quote:

Because:
They might have an agenda. (get the glory, lay blame on someone else and similar)
There sense of time and location can/is be effected by being in direct combat.
They might be wrong. And think they are at x place when they are in fact at y.

That is why you should always be a bit careful with firsthand accounts from soldiers about what actually happened during combat.

I newer bin in combat and naturally newer bin in a cavalry charge.
But I have bin in a number of mock medieval type battles... and how I (and others) remember a battle is often very different from what actually happens. And we know this because of video recordings of the battle.
When you need to actively defend yourself in melee combat your world shrinks to 1-2 meter in front of your.

I accept some of that, but a better response would have been "it may be wrong" or "it may be incorrect"

I have never been in a cavalry charge but I have been shot at and mortared and I remember every single detail because a) my training kicked in and b) time seemed to pass very, very slowly and life went into slow motion (for me, anyway). I think when your life is threatened it may be a different scenario to a mock battle.

" I'll post pictures later if anyone's interested.. " - yes please Smile
Moi Watson

Quote: I'll post pictures later if anyone's interested..

Yes please. Smile
Moi Watson

As a starter for ten, here is a letter to his mum from Fitz Maxse, Cardigan's ADC.

Letter sent by Maxse from the Crimea after the Charge of the Light Brigade

RYS Yacht Dryad, Balaklava Harbour, 28 October 1854
My dearest Mum
I am writing this laying down so I do not trust myself with ink — I hope the pencil will last — De Burgh has just told me that a post goes out directly . . . I just drop you a line to say I am quite all right and that my wound is nothing at all.
The papers will tell you of our affair of the 25th inst. Our loss is fearful. I will scrawl you a short account. The Russians attacked (about 25000 strong) Balaklava on the morning of the 25th — they took all the Turkish batteries and 7 of our guns lent to the Turks immediately. The Turks deserted their guns almost at the first shot. They were pursued — by clouds of Russian Cavalry between 2 & 3000 strong who came right up to our tents — The Heavy Brigade about 800 strong charged gallantly and routed them — An order was sent to Lord Lucan for Lord C to attack with light Brigade — he sent me to Lord Lucan to say that there spot we were ordered to attack was ¾ of a mile off that there were batteries on each side and a heavy battery in front also that the hills were lined with riflemen — Lord Lucan said he could not help it & we must attack. Lord C dropped his sword and led the way 20 yards in front of the Brigade — The plan below and the statement of our loss will show the tremendous fire we were under. It thinned us like a sickle through the grass — Lord C led gallantly right through the battery — a gun going off between his horse’s legs — I was struck on the foot by a spent round shot — or a bit of shell and though I managed to get on 40 or 50 yds past the batteries — I was obliged then to cling to my horses mane and was nearly fainting — I managed to re-cross that terrible cross fire still playing in the valley — and a French surgeon kindly dressed my foot for me — We cut down the gunners at their guns and broke the cavalry beyond — and then every body had to fight his way out. It was a most brilliant but useless waste of life. Our Loss 270 Men killed and wounded and 24 Officers — My brother ADC poor Lockwood is killed or taken prisoner — I am too tired — to write more dearest Mum .

" Maxse himself said later that he had cut at two Russians around the guns as he passed through and one of them had pointed a pistol at him, but he was much too preoccupied to notice whether he had fired. As he rode back he was worried that the man with the pistol might 'pot' him and to be on the safe side he had dragged out a 'rotten old pistol' belonging to his brother Frederick (Lieutenant, R.N. Naval A.D.C. to Lord Raglan). The Russian was not waiting for him and instead he pointed the pistol at a Russian cavalryman who was pursuing him but it mis-fired. " http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchi...temid=3039

Pic to follow of the sabre
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eylau, la charge... Iagoba 0 1,012 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Iagoba