Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Gallic \"G\" and \"H\"
Greetings.

Because there is an issue that I have read about here about Brow Guards being cast in iron (On replica Helmets) and the fact that they break easily and that they rust faster then the helmets, Would it be unheard of to replace the brow guards with ones made of Brass?

I too have a helmet with a broken Brow Guard and have taken it to a number of professional welders. They all have stated that in the place that it broke, it would be too difficult and too expensive to repair.

I saw DSC's BRIGETIO GALLIC 'J' HELMET on their facebook page and really like the look of it.

Is it acceptable to have a solid cast brass Brow Guard on a Gallic "G" or Gallic "H" ???
I would have a blacksmith make a replacement using the pieces as a template. If it was left not finely finished it would look like a period repair I think. ON the brass replacement there are known Roman helmets with different metal probably replacement parts but I don't recall a brass browguard. Anyone?
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Hey John, just to let you know, I haven't forgotten about that helmet you sent me, ON NO! :lol: It's on display in my bedroom, and I think about it every day Confusedilly: I was thinking the exact same idea, and have traced a local horse shoe/blacksmith guy in town, and he does great work, it's a matter of driving to him and explaining what I want done! haha. I also thought of replacing the rivets with copper ones for color? What do you think John?

anyway, I appreciate your generosity, and it's remembered...

Sam.
Samuel J.
Yes I think copper rivets would look good!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
In addition to my first questions... I have seen both the Gallic "G" and the Gallic "H' on the market in Brass. Would they have also been made of brass originally or is this just something manfucturers do today?
well where are you seeing them being sold in brass Patrick? Anywhere with an authenticity rating? Or a dodgy looking supplier! Give us links, and also I think to my knowledge, ANY helmet could have been made of a bronze, brass, copper alloy, or a steel/iron, or even a blend of metals. Like what was said about repairs, if there was a brass piece to fit a steel helmet, with not another matching fitting instead, I suppose it would have been used, rather than wasted. Roman's surely looked good in their gear, but they were also efficient and didn't waste resources...
Samuel J.
So by applying a Brass Brow Guard to my steel helmets, Brass Crest Mounts, and "Brassing" out the Crest Block would be acceptable? Just thinking of personalizing my helmets.
Patrick, the "Brass Gallic G/H" you speak of is really a Gallic I. I know what you are talking about, some vendors call it a Brass Gallic G/H because of Deepeeka I think, but is really one of the Gallic I models. And being quite honest with you, all the Gallic G.H, and I models could easily be classified as the same type, just Robinson didn't and set the standard for years to come.

I believe you said before that you were from far north Michigan? If you want to join a legion, I would check with them (Probablyy Legion II or XXX in Canada), otherwise a brass browguard sounds like a completely reasonable field repair
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
It should be pointed out that this particular part of a helmet is not known as a brow gaurd it is a peak reinforce.

I would say that a brass peak reinforce is not acceptable on a Gallic G or the H for the originals were iron, and therefore if anyone can make one out of sheet brass then why can't they just make it out of sheet steel or iron it's exactly the same job.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Matt... As for joining a Legion... I am in the north west part of Lower Michigan on Lake Michigan.
Thanks Brian for the correction "Peak Reinforce" I am actually thinking of having a solid Brass cast Peak Reinforce made.
I think you should forget the idea of having a cast reinforce of any kind for I don't think there were any Roman helmets that had such a reinforce, for the first heavy blow with a weapon would have broken it.

This part of the helmet was made from sheet metal be it iron or bronze and in many it could be made from even thin sheet iron of around 0-9mm or 1-2mm, the front edge of these types would have been bent over at a right angle maybe around 5 to 8mm (the Hebron type being an example)

Then there is the Italic D which has a bronze peak that is around maybe 3mm at the bowl then tapers down thin at its forward edge so why not have this typ made, but then if your helmet is a Gallic G it will have to be made from steel. This is not a difficult type to make for it is only in the region of around 16 to 17mm wide and a piece of iron or steel at this width is not hard to bend into shape. However you have to remember that it will have to have its small central projection to fit the bowl at the forward point.
Brian Stobbs
Brian... do you have any pictured examples? So when you say that it was made of sheet steel and bnt over at a right angle like the letter "L" facing downward?

My helmets are currently like that but looked awful flimsy to me... I thought I have seen a thicker "Bar" on better helmets... Am I mistaken?
Brian... So if I did make this from sheet metal... Is is there an objection to Brass?
The reinforce peak of the Gallic G and H cannot be made in brass for the originals were of iron, this is where you will need sheet steel of about 3 to 4mm thick and have the metal cut to shape.

This is done by making a template of maybe stiff cardboard or paper that fits the helmet bowl, then when put onto the metal the shape can be drawn out then with a hacksaw and much file work the peak can be cut out. However as mentioned earlier do not forget to allow for the centre tab that fits the front of the bowl of the helmet, this can be around 3mm long then after the peak has all been shaped it can be cut shorter so as not to project against the forehead.

The two ends of the peak that take the holding rivets are shaped on the flat metal and then with heat these can be twisted to 90 degrees to the plane of the peak so as to fit the bowl and then drilled for the rivets.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Deepeeka Gallic H: a few questions and reflections Martin Wallgren 2 1,159 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar