Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata
I've been wondering what should the length be for leather 'tie up' laces/cords of the Lorica Segmentata? You know, the ones that are tied to the lacing loops. I was also wondering would other material work for these laces?

Also, what is the best thickness for these laces, just in case they snap as I try to tie them?

Thank you in advance!
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Hi
You want laces of at least decent length so that you're not meddling with small scraps and trying to tie them together, saying that you don't want them dangling, ie passing the look that they're available to be pulled on! You should try yourself, 4-6 inches long I would say, and base an opinion on your findings, and then look at other reconstructions and relate.

I would cut my laces from leather of a nice thick thickness! Maybe 8 oz? Leather WILL just snap when being pulled ( not easily, but it will,) so make sure to oil the laces with neatsfoot oil! I would make my laces starting with a width of 1/4 of an inch, with the thickness of 1/8th. 1/8th of an inch is AKA 8 0Z LEATHER Smile Anyway, I hope this helps!

Sam
Samuel J.
I second Sam, but further would use a single thong for every pair of plates.(on the back too.
So if one breaks not you whole segmentata wil fall apart.
succes
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
And I second you fine sir Tongue
Samuel J.
Thank you for your help Sam and Agrimensor! Smile
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,576 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Leather Weight for Lorica Hamata Shoulder flap? Andy B 2 2,175 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,515 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola