Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Ancients Play Bagpipe?
There is a nice sculpture of a high medieval bagpiper in a Cistercian monastery in Spain. The text above gives some clues about the ancients being familiar with bagpiping, but the evidence seems vague. Is there some definite archaeological or other evidence that the Greek or Roman (and people before) knew and played this instrument?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
At our first gig in 2008 we were supported by two musicians of MVSICA ROMANA, Susanna and Albin. Albin not only played the aulos but at some fights also a kind of bag pipe. Unfortunately the videos of that are no longer on our webpage, I have it only on my computer.
If Nero had a water organ, I am sure someone would have thought of something similar to bagpipes - either the Scottish or Northumbrian version (the latter is played without a mouthpiece filling the bag, using elbow action instead)

And it would be an excuse to put on a vid of In Extremo, but sadly the link does not want to play!! Cry
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I attended a live concert many years ago at a private school, which featured a few pieces of music played on a very simple Greek form of bagpipe. The concert was all music from the medieval period, but all the instruments used and music performed were supposedly well researched.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
What might a Roman bagpipe look like? Any pictorial evidence to show?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm sure I've seen a Roman mosaic depicting someone playing a bagpipe. Now if I could just remember where....
Pecunia non olet
A bronze from Richborough seems to show a Roman soldier playing a bagpipe type instrument

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quite different instrument...not exactly Highland Great Pipes, but it is some sort of bagpipe. I can see putting something like a Greek aulus on the bottom of the skin bladder, and playing non-stop music. Might be just the thing to keep the sentries awake on long, warm nights.... 8-)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.