Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moulds for sling-shot - Help
Good morning everybody,

preparing a small job on the slingshot in the 1st millennium BC in Europe, I'd like to ask for your help on the matter of the moulds for slingshot.

As far as I know, only 3 moulds were found:

- two in an Hellenistic context from Olynthus (Chalcidice) and Phanagoria (Bosporus)

- one with an inscription found in Paris (Rue Saint-Martin) dated to the late republican age.

The last Paris discovery have been published in 1999, does someone know if in this last 13 years other similar findings are attested? Thanks for any help!

Very Best!
S.M.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
You may find some helpful information on slinging.org, though it may not be the specific finds you mention.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Many thanks for the suggestion, I will check the site.
These are the only graphic documentation that I have found of those finds.

Panagoreia (Bosphorus) - Hermitage Museum (Saint Petersburg,Russia)
[Zangemeister C. 1885, Glades Plumbae Latine Inscriptae, Ephemeris Epigraphica, VI]

[attachment=5529]B019.jpg[/attachment]

Paris, Rue Saint-Martin
[Poux, M. /Guyard, L. 1999. Un moule a balles de fronde inscrit d'epoque tardo-republicaine a Paris. - Instrumentum 9, 29-30]

[attachment=5530]B018.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
In this article in Russian, you can see a small photograph (table 4, fig. 24) of the Phanagoria find. This fragment of the casting mold was made out of Chios amphora handle and dates to 4-3 c. B.C.E. The length of the fragment is 6.7 cm. It is kept in The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia (Inv. # T.1870.35).

If you PM me your email address, I could send you good photographs of the Hermitage casting mold.

In this known article by Manfred Korfmann "The Sling as a Weapon" (translated in Russian) you can see a graphic reconstruction of the casting mold from Olynthus.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Porta Tiburtina (long shot) D B Campbell 2 1,055 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell