Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Hod Hill spatha - IA or Roman?
Thank you again. I hand't thought to connect the horizontal slots with the blade! :whistle: Nor was I aware of the Icelandic saga.

So, back to Brailsford:

"It is, however, a matter of history that the finds [in the Durden Collection} were made in ploughing, and although over three quarters of the hill has been ploughed today, only the western half was under the plough in Durden's day and it is therefore the area of the Roman fort' page viii

Hod Hill, Volume One - Antiquities from Hod Hill in the Durden Collection J W Brailsford 1962

I suppose the evidence from three hilt guards and the Hod Hill sword itself could support the theory of Auxiliaries using these weapons; supported by Richmond's evidence of a fire in the southern area of the fort, this could assume they were abandonned in haste, and in perfect condition at the time.

I think I am happier about the Roman context.

(Next port of call, Roman cavalry units during the invasion attached to the Second Legion. Lets hope its not the Asturians ;-) )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
What is the Hod Hill spatha - IA or Roman? - by Vindex - 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM