Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Yin Yang\' Sign in Greco-Roman Culture
There is a mosaic in a Roman villa at Sousse, Tunisia, which depicts a sign which closely resembles the yin yang sign, but I could not find out more about it. Do you happen to know from which villa it is from and what date has been assigned to it? And, are there more such signs in Greco-Roman culture apart from those in the Notitia Dignitatum?

Now, I am quite aware that this topic has given regularly rise to some misunderstandings. Some people devise transcontinental transfer theories between west and east (or vice versa) with little basis in fact, which other people vehemently deny on a basis just as thin. I am, frankly, not interested in any of this stuff, because it had choked off some good discussions in the past.

I just want to discuss with you, if you know more instances of signs and symbols in Greco-Roman iconography which closely follow the shape of the sign today most commonly known as Yin Yang?

[Image: Sousse_YinYang.JPG]
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Ok, differently asked: Is there some art dictionary about Greek and/or Roman iconography, about the corpus of symbols, signs and ornaments they used in art & architecture?
First, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any comprehensive study of the symbology in ancient art.

As far as I know, there is no connection with the same Eastern Symbol to have been found. It also predates Roman culture, having been seen in Celtic and Etruscan art as early as 4-5th Centuries BCE. The fact that it is first seen in Celtic art suggests that the Etruscans probably borrowed it from them, and then to Rome by absorbing the Etruscan culture into their own.

Many of the "symbols" seen in Roman art are representations of the Gods. For example, the modern symbols used for male and female were Mars and Venus, respectively. The circle with a cross in it represents Gaia, or Earth.

I haven't really looked into it a lot, but it may initially appear to be a representation of the sea, or possibly Neptune. I really emphasize that this is a reach on my part, and do apologize if this is more of the same shallow argument you've experienced in the past on the subject. It does appear to be a simple rendition of the zodiac pisces, that of two fish swimming around each other. In much of the earlier art, it was seen in, on, or with horses, which we know from our mythology came from Neptune. However, I would also like to think that we'd see more of it on cavalry decorations, if that were the case.

I have also seen the "yin yang" on the base of an eagle, but can't remember where. If you think of the Nazi Germany symbol with the hooked cross (aka "swaztika") below the eagle, you'll get what I mean.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I need to ask again: anybody aware of further examples in Greek and Roman art? Especially Greek iconography feels void like a desert when it comes to pattern akin to the yin yang.
Quote:I need to ask again: anybody aware of further examples in Greek and Roman art? Especially Greek iconography feels void like a desert when it comes to pattern akin to the yin yang.
The only thing which comes to mind is the so-called Triskelion, where three curves, legs, etc. radiate from a common centre. I have seen it in Sicily and in "Celtic" but not North Africa or mainland Greece. Perhaps this was what Marcus referred to?

Thanks for asking about that dictionary of art history or dictionary of symbols! Sometimes basic academic tools are the hardest to find, because the experts don't bother citing them. (I know that I didn't cite every time I checked the Oxford Classical Dictionary when I was writing my thesis).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Two shields patterns from the Notitia Dignitatum display an esse design, the Armigeri and the Mauri osismiaci. The later were a unit stationned in western Armorica, originally made up from Maurs but likely by the late 4th century mostly drawn up from locals, Osismi armoricans, hence its name.

[Image: notitia-dignitatum-bodley-550.jpg]

[Image: notitia-dignitatum-bayerische.jpg]

There are quite a lot of esses (I better like that name than the 'Yin Yang' given the pattern seems to appear quite late in the middle ages in asian art) in LaTene and early medieval insular art.

See for exemple:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg546/sca...es=landing

Or on this 6th century latchet brooch from Ireland:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg689/sca...es=landing

We (my group Letavia - 5th century Britons) decided to change our shield patterns recently, going for the Mauri osismiaci.
[Image: 26042243681117308250219.jpg]
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Quote:The only thing which comes to mind is the so-called Triskelion, where three curves, legs, etc. radiate from a common centre. I have seen it in Sicily and in "Celtic" but not North Africa or mainland Greece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Is it even a yin/yang? Or a snakelike figure, or an 'S', or just a swirl? Same with the swastike, NOW it's a symbol, but was it a symbol in ancient times? Or just a decoration?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dogs in Greek/Roman culture? FarDarter 6 3,304 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  The Lateen Sail - A Greco-Roman Invention Eleatic Guest 28 12,073 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Lead hull sheating of Greco-Roman ships Titus Martius 6 2,745 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Tertius Mummius