Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bull Standard
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=321945 Wrote:As i mentioned, the 4 legions had an animal symbol each. I think it was related to tribal symbols in early kingdom/Republican period.

Did the tribes have symbols as such? I've looked through T.J. Cornell's The Beginnings of Rome and can't find anything besides the names of the tribes and a discussion of the people or places they were named from.

As i said, these were used by the original Legions raised, their orginal use I can only speculate on, although I am sure this idea came from my readings, and not something I pulled out of my ass. Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think that Marius replaced the older standards: minotaur, wolf, boar and bull by the eagle.

I always think that capricorns, bulls, rams, lions,..., were shield emblems and not properly standards... :???:

True, Marius did reform the old republican system of military standards. However,the emblems that each legion carried were, according to Matyszak, like mascots, and he theorizes that the ones who ordered legions to be formed, assigned them an animal as a mascot. Often, it would appear, the legions were given the zodiac signs of the one who raised them (i.e. a bull for Caesar [although it's speculated that Caesar attributed this to the Gaulic bull-god], the capricorn for Augustus, etc.). Also, I believe shields were painted by cohort, so shields varied from cohort to cohort; while having some uniformity per legion.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Found this phot in my collection from Chesters Museum. Says Third Century. Bull, goat or horse???

[attachment=5350]PIC_0409_2012-10-05.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5351]PIC_0408.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
It's a Bull.
Quote:Found this phot in my collection from Chesters Museum.
Ron Embleton certainly thought it was a bull.
[attachment=5352]Embleton_Standard-bearer.jpg[/attachment]
Thanks for reminding us about this one, Moi!

Attached Files
.jpg   Embleton_Standard-bearer.jpg (Size: 38.37 KB / Downloads: 2)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Jersey Milk Cow? Confusedilly:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Despite Mr Embleton's estimable interpretation, the stele figure looks bare headed as well as has been pointed out elsewhere (I'm getting confuddled about which aquilifer/standard thread I'm in!!!).

FWIW I think it is a bull.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:the stele figure looks bare headed... I think it is a bull.

Yep, looks that way. Good image btw Confusedmile:

So who was this beast-carrying bloke? If the TC reliefs are anything to go by, they seemed to march with the aquilifer, similarly bare-headed (maybe to avoid animal-confusion! Which may be why the aquilifer didn't wear a skin headdress either...) - so why no mention of them in literature or career inscriptions?

And what would they be called? - taurifer?... porcifer? Confusedilly:
Nathan Ross
Mascotifer?

The image has two bovine-like horns, so I'd vote for bull, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It resembles a mule to me (very long "ears") :grin:

Probably a bull

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jona eat your heart out !! ANOTHER BULL... STORY MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 18 4,301 01-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar