Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Another) Roman Saddle Question
As it may be of interest, I am pleasesd to say that I have finally found a saddler who will make my version of a tree-less or pad saddle. By the time it is made and the new pony is strong and fit enough to be ridden, I can start testing theories (again).

Renatus: I would agree with your suggestion that the plates could be named to make sure they end up on the right saddle. I also agree that the cover is removable for a reason. As I have mentioned before, any wooden tree saddle is subject to breaking on a stress point (commonly the left saddle horn area, now and then the right from the reconstructions I have seen) and the cover also suggests an ease of access was desirable for a reason we can but ponder.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman saddle & Stele of Silius richsc 16 3,703 06-01-2015, 03:10 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Arch Of Orange Saddle Supplementary Question Vindex 5 1,718 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Roman Saddle Question Nathan Ross 10 2,381 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Vindex