Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dorchester, Dorset, Fort? II AVG
Hi all
Having recently purchased and read a book by Bill Putnam on Roman Dorset, he puts over several good reasons for a fort , unknown size, in the vicinity of modern Dorchester.
I can quote if necessary, I don't know if it contravenes
copyright, if it does then I am sorry, but I have read in several other articles/published items that a fort iat Dorchester was against all military operations, ie too close to lake farm etc etc. Reading this book opened my opionions of what could and could not have been. Bill Putnams arguments are very persuasive.
I would be interested to know other members thoughts on such a military site before I quote his reasons for a fort existing.
This is part of my "if ypu cant follow them forward, then track them back", of II AVG in southern Britain circa AD 50.
All comments or info I know nothing about is welcome, remembering I have Bill Putmans reasons for the "fort" being there.
Kevin.
Kevin
Mods, please move to relevant category,,, posted in error in "rules and announcements"
Kevin
Kevin
Done!

I still haven't read Putnam's book but an assumption could be that as Maiden castle is there, a Roman militray presence would have been logical.

Have you read the excavation reports from Wessex Archaeology? They did Poundbury as well as the modern hospital site which produced such wonderful mosaics.

Or any of Graham Webster's contributions to the local archaeological society magazine? I think I sent you the references for Waddon Hill, but there were plenty of others.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intaglio from Waddon Hill, Dorset. 66kbm 4 1,503 09-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Waddon Hill Dorset 66kbm 11 2,664 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  New Late Roman buckle from Dorchester on Thames Caballo 16 4,148 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs