Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Imagnifer and the Aquilifer
Quote:Well, it's certainly been an interesting discussion with all the points of view shared. I appear to be the only one approaching it from the importance of the Aquila to the legion. Quite the gap remains to be breeched and hopefully more evidence will be unearthed to shed more light on the matter.

Thanks to all who contributed.

We've already acknowledged that the Aquila is vastly important to the legion. What we're trying to figure out is the specific role of the Aquilifer in the legion.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
I've just re-caught up with the thread and would just wish to throw in a couple of points/ideas that don't seem to have been factored in.

[Whilst the relevant merits of trying to equate the legionary ranks to more current ones have been discussed before, I am aware, please excuse me if I allude to them only to make the idea more clear]

Firstly I shall suggest that we ought to consider the difference, as we believe it to be, that there is a single fundamental difference between the Centurionate (Officers) and the milites, immunes and principales (Other Ranks and NCO's) - and that is that the 'Officers' would have to be able to read and write (even with the potential for clerical assistance) and have a reasonable affinity for those leadership and management abilities.

I would therefore like to suggest that the Signifer and Aquilifer (and perhaps Imagnifer) are in a completely separate promotion tree to the Optio & Centurion. Just like Polybius gives with his detailed organisation (and there is no particular reason to suggest it changed that much). Centurions (Captains) were selected to lead and they appointed their Deputies/Optios (Lieutenants) and they then went on to select standard bearers from the bravest. I do not see any reason that later there is real difference.

Responsible and trusted Milites become Immunes (Lance Corporal, or perhaps better the US Private First Class). One with some ability leads his contubernia as a Sesquiplicarius (Corporal). One of the Immunes is also selected to represent his centuriae, also as a Sesquiplicarius, as Signifer (Colour Sergeant?). One of these latter, the best of the legion, promoted to the first cohort, then becomes the Aquilifer (Regimental Sergeant Major is the best NCO equivalent perhaps, although the Primus Pilus or even Praefectus Castrorum may fill some of the roles).

Either way this approach makes a lot of logical sense and meets the available evidence, with the one note that, just like with the Centurionate we are aware that such promotions could also be facilitated/purchased and may not always fit the 'brave & qualified' ideals.

M2CW
Quote:I would therefore like to suggest that the Signifer and Aquilifer (and perhaps Imagnifer) are in a completely separate promotion tree to the Optio & Centurion.
The aquilifer and imaginifer certainly seem to be in a different branch, but not the signifer, who had often previously been (or went on to become) optio, and could realistically hope to progress to the post of centurion.

Quote:Just like Polybius ... I do not see any reason that later there is real difference.
The system that evolved during the Principate is quite different from the one in Polybius' day, Mark.

Quote:Responsible and trusted Milites become Immunes (Lance Corporal, or perhaps better the US Private First Class). One with some ability leads his contubernia as a Sesquiplicarius (Corporal). One of the Immunes is also selected to represent his centuriae, also as a Sesquiplicarius, as Signifer (Colour Sergeant?). One of these latter, the best of the legion, promoted to the first cohort, then becomes the Aquilifer (Regimental Sergeant Major is the best NCO equivalent perhaps, although the Primus Pilus or even Praefectus Castrorum may fill some of the roles).
If you scan back through the thread, you'll see that the aquilifer is something of an anomaly, as he usually has no prior experience and usually has no further aspirations.

btw The posts in the centuria were held by principales. The immunes were mostly tradesmen and clerks. The signifer is thought to have drawn double-pay, as a "duplicarius". And to the best of my knowledge, the aquilifer has no other duties besides looking after the eagle.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/