Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Musical Instruments
As it is quite obvious I am researching Roman music. Does anyone on here know of any mouthpieces or parts of instruments that have turned up in various archeological excavations?

Such as a cornu or tuba
Peter
Peter wrote:
As it is quite obvious I am researching Roman music. Does anyone on here know of any mouthpieces or parts of instruments that have turned up in various archeological excavations? Such as a cornu or tuba

I recommend reading “Eagle-Bearer and Trumpeter” Bonner Jahrbucher 176 (1976) but I believe it is republished elsewhere. Maybe other members on the list can supply the information.

Next I would highly recommend “On Making a Roman Cornu” by Peter Barton but sorry I do not have the journal name it was published in. This paper explores making a replica from the three cornus found at Pompeii. Tests were carried out by the Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall, Twickenham. There is a recording of the sounds able to be produced by the cornu.
As regards parts of instruments, a full water organ was found at Aquincum . Heres an article and a reconstruction ( that to my eyes, looks Roman meets steam punk...) But scroll down and you'll find the archaeology. http://www.orgona.hu/orgonaink/tuzolto_orgona_e.html
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
For the Roman military musical instruments the most up to date work is:
Christina-Georgeta Alexandrescu, Blasmusiker und Standartenträger im römischen Heer. Untersuchungen zur Benennung, Funktion und Ikonographie (Cluj-Napoca 2010)
She has more than hundred instruments and parts of them in her catalogue.

Regards
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thank You so much!
Peter
Peter,

I have in electronic format “The Archaeology of Musical Instruments in Germany during the Roman Period.” Send an email to [email protected] and I will send a copy.

Steven
I have just sent you an e-mail. Thank you Steve
Peter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Musical instruments.. Gaius Largenius 26 6,418 08-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius