Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s Assassination Spot Identified
Researchers claim to have worked out the exact spot where Caesar was assassinated.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yeah, but they haven't though, really ;-)

"Researchers have begun to study the remains of the Portico of the Hundred Columns (Hecatostylon), the Torre Argentina, in addition to the Curia of Pompey. The aim is to identify links between archaeology and art history that connect to the death of Julius Caesar. Monterroso says: “We also aim to better understand that sense of physical closure of the murder scene described in classical texts

Which isn't saying much... I always thought that the assassination site was in the basement of the pizza restaurant on the left side of Largo Torre di Argentina.

:whistle:
Nathan Ross
Why are they looking in Argentina anyway? I'd think Italy would be a more likely place. Especially Rome.
Pecunia non olet
Hah ha John!

Yes, it is a bit inconclusive, they go on to say they have discovered the concrete slab which may have been erected by Augustus to mourn GJC assassination, thne the yare investigating the series of pillars as well..sounds slightly undecided to me!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, they know it is there...somewhere. In Argentina.
Alexander
I love watching archaeologists getting excited everytime they claim to have found ancient locations or items due to "art history" or vague ancient sources. I believe that archaeologists have found Noah's ark several times already. 8-)
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
There are probably more bits of Noah's Ark than there are bits of the true cross by now. Didn't one of the astronauts who landed on the Moon claim to have discovered the location of Noah's Ark?
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Is this a competition like in the '70's, "spot the ball" where one had to put an X where the ball was, is there a pic i can put an X on Ceaser?
Kevin
Kevin
I think I will have the edge then, Kevin! :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
While in Argentina checking out Caesar's Last Stand, look for Noah's Ark too :-P
Caesar audieritis hoc
So was it the Hand of God (Maradona) who was responsible for striking the first blow??? :lol:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Didn´t that Caesar-bloke have sthg. to do with Pirates? For that´s where all the Pirates live, in ARRRRRRRRgentina.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
:???: ....don't cry for me Argentina ? :errr:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:Researchers claim to have worked out the exact spot where Caesar was assassinated.
Like I said on FB, there is no 'discovery of the spot', as by their own admisssion it was not lost: “We always knew that Julius Caesar was assassinated in the Curia of Pompey on March 15, 44 BC, because of the classical texts". The only new-ish info is that the seem to have found some monument that stood there, or close to it. Modern journalism, more like. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Vindex post=322593 Wrote:Researchers claim to have worked out the exact spot where Caesar was assassinated.
Like I said on FB, there is no 'discovery of the spot', as by their own admisssion it was not lost: “We always knew that Julius Caesar was assassinated in the Curia of Pompey on March 15, 44 BC, because of the classical texts". The only new-ish info is that the seem to have found some monument that stood there, or close to it. Modern journalism, more like. Wink

This reminds me of a story a British newspaper ran a few years ago on Valentine's Day. It claimed that historians had found 'New' evidence that Cleopatra wasn't the stunning beauty that everybody thought she may have been. As proof they showed some coins showing Cleopatra's profile (including her big nose) and said that these coins had only recently been discovered, even though they'd been in museums for a long time.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carnuntum: Castra Singularis identified Simplex 0 1,325 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Caesar\'s Assassination fhaggis 6 2,098 04-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Gorgon
  Caesar\'s plan to invade eastwards before his assassination stevesarak 9 3,261 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K