Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx
My own view is that spear formations and pike formations are very different.

I don't think the Macedonian pike phalanx was a simple development of the Greek hoplite phalanx, although I'm not familiar with the issues surrounding Iphicratean hoplites and other possible influences. I know that pike formations tend to be deeper or closer than spear formations, and tend to require different shield designs or no shields at all.

Middle and late imperial Roman infantry often form spear formations with thrusting spears in front, and javelins and darts thrown from the rear ranks, and later also archery from the rear ranks. These are loosely analogous to Greek hoplite phalanxes, Etruscan phalanxes, and post-Roman shield walls.

Infantry and cavalry could each be very important. The proportion of cavalry in Roman armies rises from about 15% in the 2nd Century to about 20% in the late 4th century. The importance of each arm depended as much on the situation as anything else; cavalry for battles, pursuit, scouting, raiding, and interception; infantry for battles, sieges, and garrisons.

Messages In This Thread
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Macedon - 09-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Marja Erwin - 09-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Renatus - 09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by MD - 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Renatus - 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Macedon - 10-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Death and Resurrecton of the Phalanx - by Alberto - 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM