Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Mercy Killing
I just finished rewatching the movie Alexander, one scene in particular had me scratching my head. After the battle of Gaugamela, when Alexander is walking around the field hospital, he finds a young Illyrian soldier badly wounded. They talk and a physical walks over, puts a spike against the back of the soldier's head and slams it with a hammer, separating his spinal cord, killing him.

I get that mercy killing and warfare go hand and hand, especially in the ancient period when medicine could do little to save anyone from battlefield wounds or even blunt their pain effectively. But was there any evidence that the Greeks or Macedonians had a special tool for it?

[img width=200]http://www.propstore.com/product-images/738/237351-t1.jpg[/img]
Given the recent threads about bracers and the new Ben Hur, I would guess, loudly, 'NO!'

*waits to be shot down in flames*
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
I'd agree. The only thing comparable was the spike and hammer tools used by mahouts to kill a war elephant. If mercy killing is being done a dagger can do it, no need for a specialized tool. I do wonder about the conversation between the prop department and the on set historian for Alexander.
Quote:II do wonder about the conversation between the prop department and the on set historian for Alexander.

Historian: "They never used anything like that."
Director: "You're getting free food. Go back and watch the filming."

FWIW the above photo looks like a butt spike for a spear or pike.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I'll be honest. If I was an ancient soldier and found out one of the physicians had a custom made tool for dispatching wounded soldiers, I'd probably kill that guy.
Big Grin
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks