Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructions of Roman footware from Vindolanda
Some recent shoes Ive made based on the finds from Vindolanda all stitched in the roman fashion, the hobnailing is additional rather then necesary...

Croglin Style
[attachment=5296]Croglinbootssmall.jpg[/attachment]

Fell Boot Type1 this is a single shoe made for a demo
[attachment=5297]Fellboottype1small.jpg[/attachment]

Fell Boot Type2
[attachment=5298]FellbootType2small.jpg[/attachment]

Main Reference: Vindolanda VolumeIII The Early Wooden Forts
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
They are just tremendous and a very good piece of craftsmanship indeed.
Brian Stobbs
Those are great work indeed!
(I have to admit I was a little dubious with a name like
Ivor Crispianus) :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice, Ivan Smile !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:They are just tremendous and a very good piece of craftsmanship indeed.

What Brian said - lovely boots!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Fantastic work!

They are very impressive.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
I like them... I would wear them with pride.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Very nice.
Thanks All for your comments heres an "Allandale" type boot this is from an early find from CUT(Xantan) though I think its appropriate to post it here. I believe its a bit earlier then the wooden forts at Vindolanda, where there are at least two childrens shoes that follows the same basic pattern. A large size approximately 13-14 UK not particularly broad though it makes you wonder just how big the guy was who wore them. These were made for a display.

[attachment=5304]AllendaleCUTsmall.jpg[/attachment]

primary source for the reconstruction: personal observations of the suprisingly complete original, the original shoe is recently published in Xantaner Berichte 14.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hi Crispianus,

very nice shoe, looks very well executed. Would be nice to see and read more about how you actually built it.
Hi Martin this "Allendale" is basically Caligae construction where the upper is integral with the midsole(one piece) and stitched up the back, although there was'nt any re-inforcing to the seam evident. Three of the four illustrated in "Vindolanda The Early wooden Forts Vol III" are described variously as "Allendale"(adult shoes) or "Carbatina"(childs shoes) and dont have additional soles added, the forth "Allendale" is of "Calceus" construction with a seperate upper.
Ivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman mosaic floors for villa reconstructions Musivarius 0 806 07-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Musivarius
  Roman Shoe Reconstructions Crispianus 68 27,391 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Allandale Roman Shoe Reconstructions MarcusNorwood 5 1,757 02-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding