Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Romans use Leather Cuirass?
During the Mid-Republic? And I don't mean Linothorax, I mean like a muscled cuirass. And if they did, how early would they have started wearing these?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
The only extant leather armour dating from any time period that might be Roman is the lamellar found at Dura Europos. No musculata. No segmentata.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Ah, ok thanks.

BTW where does the term musculata come from? I've never seen it in text before
It is just a short-hand term for "muscle cuirass". It wasn't used in any latin text and I can't recall ever seeing it in a scholarly text.

The Search function will answer your leather armour question and pretty much any other question you'll have while doing your Total War mod.

You might want to do more research on linen armour before including a "linothorax" too.
What do you mean? Could you maybe clarify please?
The illustrations that have commonly been classed as a linothorax are more likely depicting leather, not linen armour.
There is only one mention of the term "linothorax" in the entire corpus of Greek texts (i.e. Strabo).
Linen armour was probably made using quilting, not glue.
There is little to suggest that Romans ever wore it in battle.

Again, all of this is available through the Search function.
I see, that is interesting. Does this go for Greek armours as well, or just the Romans? And if I'm not going to call it Linothorax what do I call it? Leather Cuirass?

Thanks for clearing this up for me as well, you've been a lot of help
Nevermind, searched Linothorax and read this OP http://www.ancient-warfare.org/rat/19-gr...mitstart=0

Took a while, but it was well written and enlightened me A LOT!

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  leather cuirass Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 180 34,074 06-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Last Post: L_CORNELIUS_CETHEGUS