Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delete Please
I think you need to be more specific about what you mean by 'historical accuracy'. Do you mean accuracy to the histories of the period, or to the archaeology? They don't always correlate :p

And more specifically, what do you have the ability to change within the game itself? Does it go much beyond tweaking unit stats for a more representative view, or can you change the game in more fundamental ways? (Presumably this would be speculative as I don't think the new game is out yet.)
Well, I definitely favor archaeology over the histories, so I guess that's my answer :-D

Also, the degree that we can "overhaul" the general game is rather huge. It's using the same game engine as their previous title, which I am familiar with, and there are a lot of things that we can change, although there are a lot of things that we can't.

It's easy to make the game historically authentic, but realism is the difficult part. But I think that I am familiar enough with the engine to create exactly the experience I want.

Does that answer your question? :oops:
Hi Darcy, if you have a TWC account you might recognize me.

I've lead the INVASIO BARBARORVM: VLTIMVS ROMANORVM team for Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion and Alexander for quite some time, and I can assure you that modding is no easy task.

Most of my team disbanded 2 years ago, and I've been the only one modding since. I'm only a scripter so in reality I haven't been able to do much since then.

You face a difficult task, especially considering most 2D and 3D artists are busy and there is a significant lack of avalible modders, and many of the best ones retired long ago.

Also, we don't really even know how modding is going to work out with R2TW, so it would be best to wait until after the game's release to announce your mod.
Quote:Well, I definitely favor archaeology over the histories, so I guess that's my answer :-D

Also, the degree that we can "overhaul" the general game is rather huge. It's using the same game engine as their previous title, which I am familiar with, and there are a lot of things that we can change, although there are a lot of things that we can't.

It's easy to make the game historically authentic, but realism is the difficult part. But I think that I am familiar enough with the engine to create exactly the experience I want.

Does that answer your question? :oops:
Er, not really. Specifically, what can you change, and what can't you? Can you change how troops are deployed in battle, or the control scheme for directing them? Could you change settings for non-combatants in battle? Could you introduce or develop the control of logistics, or decide where in the terrain to place (and design) marching camps and permanent fortresses? Could you integrate private merchants and lixae into the game? Could you change the appearnece of units in battle, so that soldiers look more individual and different armour types are worn within the same unit?

There's all sorts of places where previous games in the series have fallen far short of an ideal representation of battle or warfare. It's kind of hard to make suggestions if we don't know your limitations. However, I think what you are oding is certainly very laudable and I hope it goes well.
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, your avatar does look familiar, I think I have seen you in the EB forums. With the 2D and 3D artist; all the models in Rome 2 look top notch so far, so I am assuming that we will not even need a modeler for this project, but even if we do need one I have one already on the team. I am a skinner myself, and have made textures for ETW and NTW, so I have a fare bit of experience. I also worked with numerous historians on those projects, and they demanded the highest quality, precise textures, and I seem to have made them pretty happy Tongue

Lastly, about the modding. RTW and M2TW both used the same engine (Medieval 2 had some adjustments), and they were both fairly similar to mod. Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 all used the Warscape engine, and we have been told that Rome 2 will be using the warscape engine again. I've modded Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2, and they have all been fairly similar also, so it's safe to say the same with Rome 2, although I will have to spend some time getting familiar with the new changes to the engine.
Robert Matthew, I will answer the questions you have bellow and add everything else I can think of that is possible to change.

Quote:Can you change how troops are deployed in battle, or the control scheme for directing them?
Recently, it has been possible to create new battle deployments that will be used by the player and AI. But what do you mean by the control scheme for directing them?

Quote:Could you change settings for non-combatants in battle?
No sorry, there never will be non-combatant on the battlefield that can play their proper role unless CA decided to add them in there self, it is no possible through modding.

Quote:Could you introduce or develop the control of logistics, or decide where in the terrain to place (and design) marching camps and permanent fortresses?
Some degree of logistics has been shown throughout all the major Total War mods, and I am planing on getting some help on this too. We can not and will not be able to design our own forts or marching camps, but they can be built on the campaign map like in most Total War games.

Quote:Could you integrate private merchants and lixae into the game?
Private merchants were in Medieval 2, and I hope they return to Rome 2, but I doubt lixae can or will be able to be represented.

Quote:Could you change the appearnece of units in battle, so that soldiers look more individual and different armour types are worn within the same unit?
YES! Finally I have one I can give a firm yes too Tongue It's possible to give the biggest amount of variation to any unit on the field; you can have just a single set of body pieces if you want (one helmet type, one armor, shield, etc) so everyone looks the same, or you can go to the extreme and have 300 variations of shields, helmets, armor, etc so everyone looks different! Although, this would most likely destroy most PCs, so you have to find some where in between.

Some more info for you. Some of the limitation have been announced, which are; unlimited amount of factions, unlimited amount of units, unlimited amount of buildings, unlimited amount of regions on the map. So we can add all the factions we want (although it has not been possibly in the warscape engine to add a faction, but CA or organizing something to help modders out, which sounds great). We can have all the amount of land and naval units we can think of or want, and this is easily accomplished, it's probably the easiest part of modding. Same goes for buildings. But the only other thing is, that the campaign map has been 99% un-changeable in their latest titles, which is a major limitation but were hopping CA will help us there too.

I'll try to list the other major things we can mod; the mechanics and physics of the battlefield, the economics on the campaign map, as well as the movement range of armies on the campaign map, modify the AI on the battlefield and campaign map, all the visuals, graphics and UI. The list is fairly big. It's pretty much everything you can think of, except what is already outside of the game engine. So we can practically just add and modify what is already there, but can't add new stuff in except for a few things on the campaign map which is possible through scripting (few examples are; winter campaign scripts, manpower limits, supply limits, disease, natural disaster, to name a few major ones). I hope that answered your question this time.
Thanks for the explanations.

Strategic Game:

How well does it handle seasonal changes? Ammianus [book 17 chapter 8] mentions that the campaign season in [northern] Gaul normally begins in July, because of the usual pre-harvest food shortages, but Julian was able to begin early by stockpiling supplies and having the troops carry extra hard rations with them. How far can troops march in 30 days, 90 ays, or 365 days? How much do they suffer from march attrition?

Battle Game:

How long does each battle take? Some of the larger battles seem to have lasted several hours. How far can people march during the battle? It's probably the best 'clock' for how long things are taking. There ought to be enough time, for example, for the Carthaginians to encircle the Romans at Cannae before the Romans can break through the Carthaginians. If the fighting goes too quickly compared to the maneuvering, maybe you can tweak the unit ratings across-the-board.

Do you have bodyguard units? It's become something of an obsession of mine, mostly to get certain Germanic armies right, but it also applies to the Romans.
Not sure about the seasons yet, not that much info on the campaign has been released.

Same with marching distance, but that is one of the easiest things to change.

Not sure about the battle time either, but that can also be changed, but not so easily.

And yes, there have always been bodygaurds units in Total War
wait until the game is released.. then it's going to be easier to find people to help Smile plus, it's easier to work on a ground that you already know, so, waiting for the release of the game truly is the best to do now.
btw, Europa Barbarorum is pretty complete Smile you might catch some ideas from other mods too Smile
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHV628oG...r_embedded

First in-game footage of Total War: Rome 2. Will this encourage anybody :grin: