Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JSTOR - free but limited access
Don't think anyone's posted this yet, apologies if I missed it:

Online digital library JSTOR will begin offering free access to its catalogue of journals, papers, and books. The Register & Read program will now allow individuals to register for the service, but members will only be able to read three items every two weeks. Users won't be able to see JSTOR's whole library either: free accounts will only have access to 1,200 journals from 700 publishers. In exchanges for free access, users will have to enter their personal details at signup that will be shared with JSTOR along with its partners, giving them insight as to who’s reading specific material ...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857628...al-library (full article)

Already found that some journals haven't opted into this, but it's well worth signing up :grin:
Totally unrelated news regarding JSTOR: http://www.3news.co.nz/Reddit-co-founder...fault.aspx
"JSTOR announced this week that it would make "more than 4.5 million articles" publicly available for free."
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for this!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
they must have gotten sick of all the people registering as indians. Good to see we'll have accesss, I want a copy of the Gallic Chronicle of 452 if they have it.
And where is the link to sign up with JSTOR??? I just saw this article.
http://about.jstor.org/rr

I’ve signed up. The program is called Register and Read and you need a free MyJstor account to access the articles. You fill out some basic information: name, your main subject of study, etc.

Glancing through the list of participating journals I see things like: Greece & Rome from Cambridge University, Papers of the British School at Rome, Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome and Near Eastern Archaeology. I couldn’t find some of the big names, like anything from the Roman Society.

To see what was available I typed in “Marcus Aurelius” and got 439 articles. As one could expect, they were very diverse, everything from the J. Paul Getty Museum Journal’s study of a particular bronze bust of the young Marcus, to the Journal of Business Ethics take on his Stoic ethics.

For a positive story: I did see one article about the plague under Marcus Aurelius from the American Journal of Philology that I spent a great deal of effort to get from a university library a couple of years ago. With this, I could have had it in 10 minutes instead of two weeks.

Some of it looks very interesting, and some not-so-interesting. Overall, I think this could be very helpful. You can’t expect to find everything you might want, but it will certainly make the lives of “independent researchers” much easier.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Signed up myself.

Oddly enough, you have to add two control words at the bottom of the registry form. I misspelled the first and omitted the second... and registered succesfully anyway! :-P I'm afraid JSTOR may not be very well protected.

I'll add 'choose 3 JSTOR articles' to my agenda. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Access to JSTOR Vindex 3 1,135 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Phaichtos
  Jstor access for RAT members... possible?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 7 2,107 10-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS