Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many legions were there in the Tetrarchy?
Quote:Hmm. Am I right in thinking that the only 'new' legions mentioned in the ND for which we have an independent corroboration dated pre-Constantine would be I Iovia and II Herculia?
Possibly. It's not clear cut. (Never is, is it?!) These legions are recorded in the Antonine Itinerary, which dates from the later third century and is perhaps Diocletianic -- iirc it mentions a Diocletianopolis, which would seem to clinch matters! -- but no other "Diocletianic" legions are mentioned, which makes it a bit of a puzzle.

The tombstone of Valerius Thiumpus (prefect of II Herculia: ILS 2781) might be Diocletianic and the legions' names certainly suggest Diocletian. Ritterling was happy to go with legion names (especially I Maximiana and III Diocletiana) as indicators of Diocletianic origin. But as far as I am aware, there's no independent corroboration.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Ritterling was happy to go with legion names (especially I Maximiana and III Diocletiana) as indicators of Diocletianic origin.

That would seem to be a bit of a giveaway! Confusedmile:

Quote:But as far as I am aware, there's no independent corroboration.

Inscriptional evidence count? For II Herculia at least:

AE 1984, 00808 (Kherson): Salvis dd(ominis) nn(ostris) Invictis / Augg(ustis) Diocletiano et / Maximiano / vexillatio... le/g(iones) / I Ital(ica) et / II Herculia

AE 1994, 01539 (Kherson): pro salute dddd(ominorum) nnnn(ostrorum) / Augg(ustorum) et Caess(arum) Valerius / Maximianus p(rae)p(ositus) / vixillationis le/gionis I Ital(icae) et / legionis II Herculia(e)

(the legion name is partially erased on these, I think - but there are others from Kherson, undated, giving the name in full)

CIL 08, 08440 (Setif): Deo Invicto Mit(h)r(a)e leg(io) II Herculiae fec(it) / co(ho)r(te)s X et VII votum solverunt / l(ibentes) a(nimo)

(this is presumably Maximian's Mauretanian campaign of 298)

I would guess that I Iovia dated to the same period as II Herculia, making them both Diocletianic.
Nathan Ross
Quote:Inscriptional evidence count?
Absolutely! I had II Herculia at the back of my mind, but I was thinking Antonine Itinerary, and I'd forgotten the inscriptions. Thanks for those. And, for all you champions of the mini-sized legions, note that II Herculia has 10 cohorts and is obviously big enough to shed a vexillation! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:for all you champions of the mini-sized legions, note that II Herculia has 10 cohorts and is obviously big enough to shed a vexillation!

Yep - noted that back here

Wink :-)
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diocletian's tetrarchy - Why? 753Anth 0 82 04-09-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: 753Anth
  Diocletian\'s Tetrarchy & the Dynastic Principle Theodosius the Great 11 3,521 12-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat