Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RomaniWalk 2013
Tried several times last night to post an account of this but RAT refused to allow my links to images so in the end I put it down to grumpy old-fashioned crotchety software and produced a Storify account from the Twitter feed instead because it was far more user-friendly. Loads of photos if anybody's interested.

The bit I liked best? Ben's curved body shield acting as a frame rucksack. That discovery was pure experimental archaeology at its best ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Awesome guys! :woot:
Sandwiches??? Not hardtack bread and watered down wine??

All jokes aside, awesome endeavor!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Quote:Sandwiches??? Not hardtack bread and watered down wine??
Actually, Ben had baked some little hardtack biscuits from spelt which he ate with his lunch (and shared round) each day. They were rather yummy, in fact!

Mike Bishop

Splendid walk, guys!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That looks fantastic! Do you have any tips, anything you'd do different next time? I live in Oz and intent on doing a walk in europe/england in the next year or two
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Quote:That looks fantastic! Do you have any tips, anything you'd do different next time? I live in Oz and intent on doing a walk in europe/england in the next year or two
Well, a good place to start will probably be the podcast that is in preparation (although I can't work on it seriously until I get back from Germany in the middle of May). However, my tip is simple: next time, get the others to carry a sedan chair with me in it ;-)

Mike Bishop

"The bit I liked best? Ben's curved body shield acting as a frame rucksack. That discovery was pure experimental archaeology at its best"- Like it!

And here's an artist's impression of the Bishop Way on the Wall- presumably with the souvenir t shirt "Portavi per lineam valli" - I was carried along Hadrian's Wall?

[Image: 28+-+Sedan+Chair+drawing.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:And here's an artist's impression of the Bishop Way on the Wall- presumably with the souvenir t shirt "Portavi per lineam valli" - I was carried along Hadrian's Wall?

[Image: 28+-+Sedan+Chair+drawing.jpg]
Yup, I definitely like that... although perhaps some rose petals strewn ahead as we go?

Mike Bishop

One available now on EBAY!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Sedan-Cha...20d20184b2
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
"Rare Sedan Chair From The 1963 Movie Cleopatra
We are celebrating the 50th Anniversary of “Cleopatra” this year and this must be the ultimate piece for a Film Collector of this era
This very Unusual Piece was made for the 1963 Movie “Cleopatra”
A large sedan chair bed, made from a combination of painted wood and plaster, four corner posts with turned legs to each corner, red and black domed canopy and carved finials at corners above upper frame from which four gold cloth curtains hang, thin covered cushion upon lower base, produced for the 1963 Twentieth Century Fox film Cleopatra; two oak handles [made later] -- 35" wide, 64" long and 76" high
Delivery to Addresses in Mainland England & Wales is included in this price Delivery times vary from 7 to 28 days"

Mike,I'm sure you have been wondering what to do with the royalties from the Roman fort book.....tell you what, I will be first volunteer to carry. But I draw the line at scattering rose petals.........
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
LOL! Big Grin
I have posted a trailer for the forthcoming podcast on the Romani Walk. It can't come forth for a while as I am off to walk the German limes for a few days, but expect it at the end of May.

Mike Bishop

Strange they call the sedan chair "rare", when it's a one-off. Unique would be better, no? :-?

Watch for it to surface in a few years, with "patina" and be offered as an original....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.