Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Mainz Gladius a Depeeka?
Anyone know if this is a Depeeka Mainz gladius?

[Image: gladiusa.png]
-Andy
Looks like it, but the one I have has a different style of bone grip, although you do see that style of grip on early Deepeeka versions of the Pompeii gladius IIRC. The scabbard should look like this (which also has the same grip as mine):

http://www.deepeeka.com/armoury/document...=11&page=1
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Tarbicus. I don't have that scabbard with it. It came with some random red leather covered and thick brass decorated scabbard that is really heavy. I am planning on stripping it and trying to salvage the wood but replace everything else.

I'd like to replace the grip and maybe even the wood parts, but I see some kind of adhesive at the ends of the bone grip. Anyone dealt with this before? Anyone have any advice so I don't totally screw it up? I was thinking of trying to recondition the bone grip if possible and don't want to booger it up removing it if I can help it.

[Image: glue.png]
-Andy
If you are just wanting the wood parts, and that is why you are going to take it all apart, you are risking the destruction of the bone grip. It is backfilled with epoxy. Check out Albion Swords Mote Sale... they have wood parts very close to these.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,618 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,835 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park
  Forging Mainz Gladius Timothy Park 1 1,942 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Jim Bertagnolli