Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat
Quote:Yes, I was aware that Britannia threw plumbatae but had not realised that you do so during your battles (am I correct to infer this from your post?). How do you manage to do this safely?

By using safety plumbatae... ;-)
Years ago (probably 1999), Britannia, ERA and some foreign chappies (Derk's "Exculacatores" I think it was) did the first joint event at Old Sarum and the Dutch lads bought about 100 of these new toys with them. ERA bought 50 of them after the show and they've now made their way into Britannia's arsenal.
A 'combat archery' speedblunt head replaces the pointy end, a large wooden bead replaces the lead weight...wallah! A safety plumbata.
Now obviously it doesn't hurtle to the ground with as much force as the real thing but, having a unit of infantry who have 5 each to hurl as they advance certainly adds a nice visual element to a combat display which is, first and foremost, supposed to be entertaining.

Next step is to train some of them to lob them in and teach the rest to flat throw them just after the shields of their enemies have been raised above their heads....
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Sheikh Al Stranghi - 09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Medicus matt - 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silica gel to avoid rust richsc 10 1,965 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  How do you avoid Tinned cookware dangers jkaler48 4 1,601 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS