Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat
I took considerable time making my scutum, as did others in my unit. We have pretty good looking semi-replica shields, and we're proud of them. I hear some people say they don't want to use their shields in even mock combat for fear of their getting damaged. I take a different view. My scutum has scuffs of other colored paint from being transported, and occasionally falling down against someone else's shield in the wind. A few scuffs and damaged edging material, plus a couple of actual dents in the shield boss? No problem, as long as the hand fits in the cavity. I just look at is as one that has been through a little use.

For the record, needled felt swords and spears don't damage equipment, either, beyond perhaps buffing an area a little more glossy. (the felt can be moistened, dipped in wood ashes and used to polish metal, even.) They're about as safe as it gets. The shafts of spears are something to look out for, because they're just a length of hard wood.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Sheikh Al Stranghi - 09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by M. Demetrius - 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silica gel to avoid rust richsc 10 1,965 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  How do you avoid Tinned cookware dangers jkaler48 4 1,602 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS