Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat
Great videos Rado. Loved it.

Being from Alabama I have seen re-enactments of the civil War. It is a different world altogether ad in that period 90% of the fighting was at long range and only a small portion close-in hand to hand. Using no live rifle or artillery round it's easy to make a lot of excitement with smoke and noise to spare.

It's just the opposite with Roman or any ancient fighting as most and sometimes all is close-in hand to hand. Movies like Gladiator make massive displays but they require much rehearsal and are a result of thousands of little film snippets pieced together. You can't do this with a live mock battle.

I think most of us agree that mock fighting is dangerous in itself using anything harder than a piece of foam. A shield can cause injuries to another participant simply due to it's rigid structure. Even with all the disagreements here all points made have been valid. The whole process is a risk to life limb and property which the participants who volunteer for the job have to weigh in their minds.

I can seriously identify with both sides in this discussion. I would love to "play war" but I don't relish the idea of being injured and much less killed. Maybe a bruise or two but please leave out cuts and broken bones and the like :-)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Sheikh Al Stranghi - 09-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Why do 1st Century Roman groups avoid combat - by Jim Bertagnolli - 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silica gel to avoid rust richsc 10 1,965 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  How do you avoid Tinned cookware dangers jkaler48 4 1,601 01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS