Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feltwell Sword
Work in progress,the blade is roughed out and,draw filed.It's a little oversized but,after heat treating and,final grinding it will loose some size.

Hilt is pretty much done except for some clean up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looking really good so far Dave, especially the hilt work. Will you be making a scabbard to go along with it?
Looks good. I like the upper and lower guard, based on the Nydam organic guards?
I've got some info on the Hemmingen 1 grave assembly if you're interested (saw your question on Sword forum)?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks gentlemen,I'll be making th scabbard as well,just haven't started on it.

The guards are roughly based on the Sundsvall sword.

Matt,any info on the Hemmingen or,Sundsvall sword would be
welcome as one of the two will be my next project.
Great working good to see a replica of this sword. Where are you based btw?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks,Matt was kind enough to provide the info I
was lacking so,if it turns out well he deserves some
credit.
I'm in Missouri U.S.A.
Quote:Matt,any info on the Hemmingen or,Sundsvall sword would be
welcome as one of the two will be my next project.

I'm in the UAE this week but will email a pdf to you next week.

Do you mean the Hogom/Sundersval sword? If so, I've got the report on that burial too so I can sort that out for you. I posted some pictures of it on a MyArmoury thread a while ago:-
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic....t=scabbard
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
That's the one, Hogom/Sundersval sword. When you have time that would be great :-D
Can't open the pics, but can almost see it. looks interesting!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sword is done,probably start on the scabbard in the next week or two depending on my work schedule.
I think it turned out pretty well,didn't spend alot of time trying to make it too pretty :oops:

[attachment=5172]feltw004.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5173]feltw002.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice, Dave!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That's some fine work Dave, you should be proud, I know you've been planning and researching this one 4 a while. Out of curiousity how does the grip feel in hand. I've long wondered about those carved lines on this type of grip, whether or not they were left as they are, or whether they were meant to hold some kind of raiser in place which has since rotted away?
Like everything I make,after I'm done I always see little things I could have done better. Still,I'm happy with how it turned out.

My opinion,the grip probably didn't have anything more than what we see today. I've done some cutting with the sword and,it works fine as is + the hex shape lets you know exactly where the cutting edge is pointed. Of course,just my opinion I could be wrong Smile
i must say that that weapon looks spot on. You'll have to show us any developments on the scabbards creation!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,124 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka