Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Hastings Cancelled!!!
Another blow for Re-enactors and Traders alike Sad

From the English Heritage Website

English Heritage regrets that due to extreme weather conditions, the annual re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings will not now be taking place on Sunday 14th October.
Although the forecast was for fair weather over this weekend, unexpected torrential rain over several hours this morning has resulted in unacceptably high levels of mud both on the battlefield and on public areas, which means for safety reasons, English Heritage has reluctantly decided that the event cannot go ahead on Sunday 14th October.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Oh no! Now my ancestors won't move to Britain then their descendants to Jamestown and I either won't exist or I'll be living in Europe and speak French! Curse that global warming!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Cancelled due to mud?

Just cross out "Hastings" and write "Agincourt"! Event saved!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
I did this event in 2000, the mud was so deep it reached half way up my winigas(shoes didn't leak though)Had to spend hours cleaning everything up before taking it all back to NZ. That said there were no "safety" issues with regards to the participants, but the ground was very cut up as a tractor had to be used to recover various vehicle that got stuck. It's worth remembering there are something like seven natural springs on the property along with a couple of small lakes, it is never very dry.
Shame though
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
Quote:Another blow for Re-enactors and Traders alike Sad

From the English Heritage Website

English Heritage regrets that due to extreme weather conditions, the annual re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings will not now be taking place on Sunday 14th October.
Although the forecast was for fair weather over this weekend, unexpected torrential rain over several hours this morning has resulted in unacceptably high levels of mud both on the battlefield and on public areas, which means for safety reasons, English Heritage has reluctantly decided that the event cannot go ahead on Sunday 14th October.

As a participant it was a decision made more with the public in mind, thousands coming onto and off the site was creating a logistical nightmare with cars getting stuck in the mud and vast traffic jams building up. The re-enactment did go ahead on the Saturday with the hundreds of participants gamely putting on an excellent show for the public.

I would imagine many of those who attented have like me spent many a night cleaning Mail, soft kit and weaponry ever since.
Marc Byrne
Glad there was something put on. Well done to those who participated
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
I saw the photos on FB, and was wondering if they were mis-dated!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel