Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek spear help
Hello folks. I purchased the bronze spear head set from Kult of Athena and have a few questions I need to ask of you.

How am I supposed to attach these to the spear shaft? The spear head has 2 holes but the butt spike doesn't.

What type of wood should I use for the shaft?

Can anyone recommend a USA based company that sells these shafts at a decent price?

thanks,

Joe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

looking at the hole I should think a nail of some sort. You can also use black pitch.

A shaft or 2 meter 60 cm would do, what wood was used I dont know but you might find some hardwood in a store.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
KOA has an ash dowel in 1 1/4" diameter, better than the 1 1/2" diameter closet rod material typically found at lumber stores, though you will still need to shape the ends to fit the sockets, I did this with a power sander in very little time, if you work slowly and create a tight fit then a little glue is all thats needed to keep everything together (along with a couple of copper nails in the spear head):

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=OX005

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I just noticed which set you bought, I would send it back, the reason I say this is because this was the first set that I bought and the spear head is too heavy and rather large. Just my opinion..

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I actually like the size and finish. It's more of a wall hanger not something I would actually throw.
FYI, the spear was used as the primary pointy-stabby-thingy weapon in conjunction with the shield. Javelins were the thrown weapons (hunting?). I have the bronze set from KOA. The spear is "front-heavy" and hard to control when locking shields and dropping the spear at the "enemy". Most of the other reenactors have steel(iron) heads and bronze spear butts. Blunt the butt point if it is as needle-sharp as mine was. It was deadlier than the point when I got it!
Cheryl Boeckmann
I actually wasn't referring to throwing the spear, though this was done in period, Archaic era hoplites are often depicted with two spears, one would be thrown and the other retained for close fighting, thrown spears are referred to in the literary record though this practice seems to have been abandoned by the Classical period but doesn't mean that spears couldn't be thrown. Javelins were used to great effect in battle by peltasts/light troops.

I was pointing out that the spear head in this particular set is cast bronze and much too heavy, also a bit on the large side for a Greek spear head, I liked mine at first, but the weight and balance are so bad that I decided to purchase a new one in steel, looks better and far better balanced. However, if you are looking for a display piece and like the look of this one then thats fine. It was just a friendly word of advice from someone who has purchased this spear head..which now resides in a bottom drawer.. Confusedmile:

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Actually this is the bronze "finished" spear set. They do have an actual bronze version which is beyond what I willing to pay for a wall hanger. I'm sure the actual bronze one is much heavier than this one. In fact the butt spike on my set is significantly heavier than the spear head.

By the way I spoke to a local exotic wood lumber shop in Miami (my neck of the woods) and they have a poplar 1 1/4" round dowel/shaft for a little over a buck a linear foot. They told me poplar is strong enough for martial arts training. I don't know how true that is but if it works I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

Joe
Joe,

Poplar is a great option (used by ancients - for hoplons as well). My suggestion, however, is go to a flagpole manufacturer. They should carry a 1" diameter X 8' pole that is more period-correct (size-wise) albeit in oak. All you need do is cut off the finial, shape the ends and torch-temper the shaft.
I have a friend who owns a bronze Spartan artifact spearhead from the Persian War period and it fits a 7/8" diameter shaft perfectly. Somehow we have been taught that bigger is better, but I think, once you have tried this thinner diameter, you will be amazed at the difference in agility a thinner shaft affords the wielder.
Bill
Quote:Joe,

Poplar is a great option (used by ancients - for hoplons as well). My suggestion, however, is go to a flagpole manufacturer. They should carry a 1" diameter X 8' pole that is more period-correct (size-wise) albeit in oak. All you need do is cut off the finial, shape the ends and torch-temper the shaft.
I have a friend who owns a bronze Spartan artifact spearhead from the Persian War period and it fits a 7/8" diameter shaft perfectly. Somehow we have been taught that bigger is better, but I think, once you have tried this thinner diameter, you will be amazed at the difference in agility a thinner shaft affords the wielder.

What a great idea! I had not considered a flag pole supplier for a dory shaft, 1" diameter is perfect, this site offers an 8' version for $21.70 plus shipping:

http://www.gettysburgflag.com/flag_poles_rPH.php

The only caveat is that it appears to be varnished, hm, perhaps they would ship one unfinished..

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Thanks for the advice guys
If you get a varnished flagpole, you can always sand or strip off the varnish before you mount the hardware.
Cheryl Boeckmann
That's the reason I said to torch the shaft - not only does it remove the varnish, it tempers the wood and gives a nice scalded appearance. :wink:
Bill