Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social features - which to retain?
Quote:Hi Evan
Switching to Vbulletin is an entirely different operation, which would mean migrating the forum itself. That is not something I'd be willing to undertake, especially considering the fact that, so far, 2/3rds of the membership don't want such Social Features! Big Grin

I don't mean switiching to vbulletin, that would be too much. I mean, they might be able to point you to the right place to help improve the system. A contacts list that ties in with a Private messageing systemw ould be highly beneficial.

Albeit, I do love the Vbulletin system (at least their customized version, I think vbulletin 4 has some issues)
Have a look here
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Did not see that. My point is moot.
Quote: the poll shows 1/3rd of the membership do like it. If extrapolated to the entire membership, that's 1500 people.
Indeed, but how many of the entire membership actually use it? I doubt that it's 1/3, even if 1/3 of those who bothered to answer your friendly poll claimed to 'like' it (FB shows we can easily 'like' things). I think you should look at the users of the SF, and decide on that percentage of the entire membership if it's worth it.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Semantics Robert. The poll asks whether people want to keep the Social Features. It is very possible some members misunderstood exactly what features we are talking about, hence various updates to the explanatory text. But in the end, a useful result to the poll can only be obtained by a large number of votes. 50-something is not really representative.

As to the use of the Social Features, as far as I can see, the Events system is used, but very easily abused. The Friends system is used daily. Groups isn't used very enthousiastically, and people used the Photo gallery moderately well. This, of course, may all be due to a lack of understanding or even ignorance of the existance of these features in the first place.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
One feature I would be sorry to see go is the personal profile of members. Admittedly, many members do not give any details at all but, when they do, I find it useful to know something about those with whom I am communicating in this forum.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Hi Michael
The profile you see now when you click a member's avatar, is the profile that will remain. Plenty of space to add personal information I think.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
That's a pity. I prefer the profiles to be found under Community.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
It can be expanded, and we could encourage members to fill out their details. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thank you for the list, but I still don't think any of those features are necessary to this Forum.

As Dan Howard has said I can message anyone I want to and believe that, with few exceptions, most of the people on this forum are people I would wish to discuss topics relevant to this forum.

I won't ever fill in personal details, or if I do they won't be real ones. I am too suspicious of various data harvesting software lurking on the internet. (Indeed I suspect I may have already been the victim of something similar on this forum! :? )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Features - Stay or Go? Praefectusclassis 42 7,644 09-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar