Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman army and civillians- need help...
Hi, I just joined the community and hope yall can help- I'm a classical archaeology student in Israel, and am writing my last paper for this degree!
The paper is about the connections between the roman army and the roman cities in northern Israel (Judea).
I'm looking for academic materials on:
a. ancient armies in geneal, and their connections with the civilians around them
b. the roman army and its connections to civillians in various parts of the empire
c. any analysis of connections between military and civillians, and what each side gains from it (marriage, economic boost, protection etc.)

I really hope you can lead me to some more sources...
Thanks in advance. Oh, and if anyone is interested in the roman army in Israel, feel free to contact me!
MacMullen's Soldier and Civilian in the Later Roman Empire (which I reviewed here) concentrates on the later period (third century and after), but much relates to earlier periods too and may well be interesting to you.

Otherwise, Pollard's Soldiers, Cities and Civilians in Roman Syria would be the best start, if you haven't seen it already. It deals largely with Syria and Mesopotamia, but its survey of the structure and organisation of army garrisons in the eastern provinces also applies to Judea/Palestine.
Nathan Ross
I second Pollard. Also definitely worth reading are Richard Alston's Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt: A Social History and Benjamin Isaac's The Limits of Empire: The Roman Empire in the East. These are excellent texts for soldier/civilian interactions, address broad themes within military archaeology, and concern areas close to your area of interest. Is there a particular time period you are interested in?