Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aetius: Attila\'s Nemesis - a Review by MMFA
AETIUS: ATTILA'S NEMESIS

[attachment=5411]AetiusAttilasNemesis.jpg[/attachment]

Let me start out by saying this book was an excellent and enjoyable read. Aetius: Attila's Nemesis is one of few biographies (there have only been Four I think) written about one of the most remarkable characters in Late Antiquity. Ian Hughes starts out with Aetius' early life, and covers it in Chronological order (minus a few background chapters). The book provides a reader with an intricate and detailed explanation of his Life and Career, from what little we know, without boring the reader in the process. It has a rather recognizable plotline, actually, because it follows a chronological order. For those of you familiar with Aetius, you will find some new concepts or information in here like I have. For those of you who are not, there is a great deal to learn about the "Last of the Romans." Ian Hughes proposes new hypothosies about some of the events of the time through his research and comparation of sources. Even though what our primary sources say is rather little, his work says a lot. This book will bring to light a new look at how Aetius played his way through Late Roman Polotics, and successfully defended Gaul, Spain, and Italy from the "Barbari."

Summary of Aetius' Life

[spoiler]For purposes of this review, I will provide a rough summary of Aetius' life. Aetius was born in 391 (or possibly 396, it is not certain) in Silistra, Bulgaria ot Gaudentius and an Italian Noblewoman. Gaudentius became a Comes Africaa and Magister Militum per Gallias, and Aetius was sent off as a Hostage to Alaric and the Huns because of His Father's political standing. By 423 Aetius had returned after the death of Honorius, and became involved with the succession struggle. Aetius was sent for help after the Gauls claimed loyalty to the Theodosian Dynasty and Africa cut off the Grain to Rome to show it's loyalty. Aetius gathered an army of 60,000 huns (supposedly) and led them to a stalemate against the Eastern Army. Aetius used his position to become Magister Militum of Gaul and served Valentinian III faithfully for the rest of his life. In 429, Felix orchestrated a plot to have Boniface ousted. The Plot failed, and as an unpopular general, Felix was killed after the Troops showed thier Loyalty to Aetius, who had claimed that Felix was plotting to kill him. Aetius had shown himself to be a capable and Honest man, and Placidia was concerned about his postion considering he was formerly a supporter of an usurper. Placidia called back Boniface and deposed Aetius. Aetius quickly mobilized his troops and fought Boniface, but was defeated. Acknowledging Boniface was the better, Boniface trusted him enough to allow him to live on his private estate peacefull. Boniface, however, died, and Sebastian took his placel Sebastian was corrupt and unpopular, and attempted to have Aetius killed. Aetius feld to Pannonia, and Garnered the support of his friend Rua, the Hunnic king. Aetius led the huns into Italy, and the Army overthrew Sebastian and proclaimed Aetius MAgister Militum of the West. He paid the huns for their service, and Aetius set to work with his Army and Bucellarii to restore the situation in Gaul an Spain. In 439, Aetius ambushed and defeated the Goths in Toulose, imposing Roman terms after a long war. With the Franks, Burgundians, Suebes, and Goths all quelled, Aetius had only the vandals to worry about. The Empire would loose africa (minus Mauretania and Tripolitania) to the Vandals, and that would be the feather that broke the camel's back for the west. Aetius, who couldn't retake Africa without the East, continued his role and stepped up in Political and Economic affairs, to help preserve what he could of the Western Empire. He contnued his campaigns in Gaul, until Attila attacked in 451. Aetius gathered the Franks, Burgundians, Alans, Amoricans, Saxons (most likely frisians) and Goths to join the Gallic Field Army and detatchments of the Italian army against Attila. After relieving Orleans, Aetius met Attila in battle outside either modern-day Chalons or Modern day troyes (it's debatable, most likely near Pouan on the river aube though) and fought Attila in a set-piece battle. It was considered the "Last Roman Victory" and Attila suffered his only defeat. It was also one of the largest battles of Late Antiquity. Aetius later campaigned against Attila in in Italy, and was assassinated by Valentinan after Attila's empire collapsed in 454.[/spoiler]

Ian Hughes manages to cover this and more in his book, and even theorizing why things happened and how they happened in a very logical manner. I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in the 5th century, and it's exclusive coverage of this brilliant man's life is incomparable to any other readily availible work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you. I just asked my wife to order that. My son's middle name is Aetius. I very much look forward to reading that.

Wilhelm Stephens
Wilhelm Stephens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aetius: Attila\'s Nemesis sonic 3 1,546 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Caballo