Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie idea
The city is in turmoil and on the verge of collapse. Gangs rule the streets with drive by shootings and the highest murder rate ever the Police are nearly helpless and unable to enter parts of the city. The Mayor and city council haven't been able to safely leave the heavily fortified city hall in weeks. Resident have to pay protection to have the garbage pickup allowed on their street. Some areas are even too dangerous for the fire department or ambulances to enter. Newspaper offices are bombed and or shot up if they try to do any crime reporting. Then somehow Caesar's Army appears encamped on the outskirts of the city.
The City Fathers realizing what has happened round up a Priest to translate and petition Caesar for help. The city's residents while a bit horrified at Caesar's methods are happy with the results and at the the end grant Caesar a triumphal parade and proclaim him Mayor. A fictional small city in Mexico would work if you wanted to make this a Spanish language film.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Mayor? Dictator for life you mean. Before stabbing him in the back while entering his office. Wink
How would Ceasar's army prevent itself from being shot and bombed to bits when entering the city streets? Street fighting was never a forte of Roman legions, especially not when confronted by kalashnikovs and/or molotoc cocktails.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Coriolanus recently took the ancient politics in a modern setting route, and was generally well regarded - I imagine that a current setting for Julius Caesar has been mooted if not already accomplished.

I agree with Robert Vermaat though, the 'saviour' would have to be a Dictator for life, in the Colonel Gadaffi sense, as a mayor having that much importance in a modern setting wouldn't really work.
I recall reading a while back that there was a movie in the works using Catiline's conspiracy in a modern setting.
Pecunia non olet