Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion - sequence of equipment
Hello all,
From the images and descriptions I see that a cliche Centurion look consisted of the lorica hamata chainmail with pteruges, harness with phalerae and the belts carrying the weapons. What I am interested in is the order of stuff. Do you have the balteus (belt) first, then the phalerae then another belt which carries the sword like below or the the balteus first or...?

Would be really interesting to hear from a practical point of view of someone who wore this before.

Sorry for the crude drawing. I have to run somewhere, but I hope it drives the point.

[Image: Untitled-2.jpg]
Regards,

Andre
[attachment=4953]phalerae1Small.jpg[/attachment]
Here is a picture of a centurian wearing a two belt arrangement with his phalerae under the belts. This is a pic' of the late Doug' Arnold who I kitted out as a centurian and he was with the 2nd Augusta group.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
[attachment=4954]primusp1Small.gif[/attachment]
He also wore Pteruges under his chain mail.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thanks, I saw that picture before and I noticed that it had the two belts arrangement.

Maybe my question should also have been: on some pictures I see the two small belts on the waste and on some I see one decorated wide belt carrying the dagger and another long belt across the chest carrying the gladius (like in my drawing). Are both of those arrangements correct or is one more correct than the other?
Regards,

Andre
I think we can say that both methods are correct in some situations there can be the double waist belt, with one of the belts holding the sword and the other where a baldric strap is used to hold the sword over the shoulder.
Brian Stobbs
Ah ok, would the baldric strap be worn (or would you wear it) under the phalerae harness or above?
Regards,

Andre
I think it would be as you show in your drawing.
Brian Stobbs
great thanks.
Regards,

Andre

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helm sequence Doug Strong 9 2,259 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Caballo